What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to calibrate the AFS OAT reading?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm having trouble getting the AFS-3500 to show the correct OAT.

The manual says:

1. Place the AF-3400/3500 into Instrument Calibration mode.Use the [NEXT] button to scroll down to OAT and press [SELECT].
2. Adjust the Shift Adjust value until the OAT is reading correctly.
3. Press [SAVE]

According to this, the "calibration lines" schouldn't be used?

I tried that yesterday (deleted the calibration lines I'd been using and just used shift to adjust the OAT reading on the upper line).

The OAT was correct on ground but during flight it was WAY off! (approx 480* OAT.....)

What have others done?
Used only one calibration line? Or more than one?
Does your OAT-readings show correct?

Thanks.

The orignal settings should be accurate, it uses two points to calibrate. Where is the probe mounted?

Rob Hickman

Hi Rob.

Thanks for chiming in! I was hoping to get an answer from someone here in this forum over the weekend so I didn't have to trouble you with that question next week.... ;-)

Anyway; the probe (the old type, gold coloured) is mounted in the left vent intake. I realize this is not the best position.

Until now, the OAT-readings have been reading about 5-20*C high and I have been using two calibration lines: one line at about 28*C and one at about 5*C.
By the way: do I have to have the lowest temp in the upper line so the temp will increase downwards? Just like the fueltank calibration?

It was when I deleted the two lines and just used the shift adjust that the OAT-reading went skyhigh in the air..

Last edited:
Back