What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wingtip wiring

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
For those that have installed the Archer antenna in the wingtip did you separate the wiring for the strobes or run everything through the same conduit ( I only have the one conduit installed). Also is there any specific preference for which wingtip i.e left or right, I am currently planning on the left as I plan the AoA and roll servo in the right.
Tks

Wing wiring

According to the AeroElectric connection (Bob Nuckolls), you can run everything in the same conduit. I'm not quite there yet, but that is what I'm planning to do.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Wings (getting ready to proseal the second tank...)

Great that will make life easier, I just ordered his book to help me figure out the wiring and I have decided to wire the wings while I wait for the fuselage (5 months for QB as I had to send my center section back). I assume most people put connectors in the wingtip to allow removal and also connectors at the wing root? Now I need to figure out what wire and connectors make sense, wish I was an electrical engineer. Oh well more research and probably more tools.

I ran everthing through one conduit and hear no strobe noise with either of my Archer nav or com antennae.

By all means read Bob's book. There is no way that I could have done the wiring on my 6A without it.

As to connectors at the wing root. I used Molex connectors, but if I were to do it over, I would just feed all the necessary wires through your conduit in the wings at the time the wings are mounted. Much easier and one less "point of failure".

Regards,

Last edited:
Wing wiring

uk_figs said:
I assume most people put connectors in the wingtip to allow removal and also connectors at the wing root?

I don't know about 'most' people, but I don't plan to use connectors at either end. Leave enough of a service loop in the wires at the tip so that you can remove the wingtip and lay it on top of the wing. If needed, you can then disconnect the wires from the antenna and lights. At the root, I'm with Jeff - no connectors there either. I will either leave enough wire hanging out of the wing to run into the fuselage at assembly, or run the wires after assembly.

Dennis Glaeser

wiring

OK thanks for the inputs, guess I will forgo the root connector as the failure point comment makes a lot of sense, is there a favourite place for buying wire etc?

Back