What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase One Test Report N847CR - LONG POST

Caveman

Well Known Member
First Flight:

Wheel pants and gear leg fairings were left installed for this flight.

Engine tried to over speed on take-off. I manually caught it at about 2750 rpm. Governor / Prop will need to be adjusted?

Control feel was lighter than I remembered on the factory demo ride & transition training. I overcorrected slightly for a few seconds but by the time I was at traffic pattern altitude I was feeling pretty confident that this thing was going to fly just fine.

Noted heavy left wing, easily corrected with little stick pressure.

CHT on #3 cylinder started out running with the others but dropped to 150 degrees cooler. Engine was running STRONG.

Airplane climbs like a banshee!

Engine is very, very smooth and STRONG. CHT?s and EGT?s look pretty good at first impression other than #3 cht.

Oil temp is fine. Too cool? if anything. I left the ?A.J. Judy? inspired cowl scoop full open for the first flight. I never got over 185 degrees even in climb.

I flew a few circles and checked elevator trim in different configurations. The TCW Safety Trim was ?spot on? out of the box with no adjustments necessary. I noted indicated airspeed at 200 to 201 mph at one point in straight and level flight.

Chase plane airspeed check and altimeter check were within a knot or two and 20 to 40 feet of each other both at slow flight and around 140 knots. I was concerned about that. Big relief!

After much deliberation and considering how the airplane was handling, I decided to go with straight ahead conventional full stalls on first flight.

Stalls were clean with little to no wing drop, both flaps up and down. They were pretty abrupt with little stick shake or tail buffet for warning. ?In cockpit? video showed the stalls very near the bottom of the white arc or below on the ASI where they should be. Chase plane confirmed stall numbers to be very close to book. I must admit the first stall caught me a bit by surprise. The nose dropped quite a bit more than my old Cherokee 140 and much faster. (I had experienced stalls in the RV-7 during the demo flight and in transition training and I was still surprised).

First landing pattern was flown at 100 mph with turns limited to 15 degrees of bank. (Limiting bank was hard to do at first. This thing begs to be flown like a fighter).

Once back in the hangar, no anomalies were noted under the cowl. No oil or fuel leaks and everything was still tight.

AFS 3500 EFIS/EMS is great!

AOA on AFS was not working. I?ll try calibrating on a future flight.

Putting transponder ident button on stick grip was not a good idea, I should have known better. I hit it at least twice inadvertently during the first few flights.

Second and third flights:

Made adjustments to prop low pitch stop under spinner. That helped with the over speed situation, but still over speeding just a tiny amount. If I pull the prop control out before take-off to a pre-marked spot, it works fine. I suspect I?ll have to adjust the cable or arm on the gov.

Disconnected ident wire to stick grip. Finished connecting pitch servo on autopilot.

Oil temp is still running in the high 170 deg. range. I played with closing the scoop a little. It definitely makes a difference. OAT?s are running in the 60 ? 70 deg. f. range.

No anomalies noted under the cowl except that troubleshooting revealed a bad CHT connection on #3. A piece of cold solder was jammed in the joint keeping the blade from inserting all of the way into the spade connector. It was covered with heat shrink, so it stayed in loose contact. Placed the probe in boiling water and compared to the candy thermometer lifted from wife?s kitchen. It was within 2 degrees. Problem fixed. Candy may never taste the same though. Don?t tell on me!

Landings were a bit better but nothing to brag about. Still coming in hot, floating, and fighting a few small bounces on touchdown.

Grounded for 6 days due to high winds and low tail dragger time.

Fourth flight & Fifth:

Cruising around at fairly low altitude at 75- 85% power trying to make sure the engine is broken in.

I played with the autopilot some in wing leveler (track) and nav mode. ADI Pilot II is really nice for someone who has never owned a plane with an autopilot. I like the flashing low airspeed warning. Very nice if you don?t have a stall warning or AOA warning hooked up. Watching the 496, ADI P II, and 3500 work in unison is poetry in motion. I can?t believe I wired all this stuff up and built the panel myself and it works!

I found out the oil cooler scoop control cable may need to be changed to a vernier style. At high airspeeds it is pulling itself open. That explains the low 172 ? 178 deg. f. oil temps. The cable that I used is the same one provided in the firewall forward kit for cabin heat and alternate air. I ended up with a spare so I used it for this service wondering if it would work or not.

I lost part of a lower intersection fairing. It had a poor bond line. Looks like I didn?t sand the wheel pant with rough enough sand paper and get it cleaned well enough. Oh well! I built another. Glad I made the decision not to paint yet.

I started slowing a bit on final. Landings are improving but definitely not mastered.

Sixth flight: About 14 hours on Hobbs.

Flew to two airports within the approved fly-off area to help break in brand new engine and get a sense of cross country performance and cruise speed... These were the first flights and landings away from home base.

I started adding weight on the passenger side to help diagnose heavy wing. The skid ball is about ? ball out at cruise speed.

Eighth Flight:

I removed wheel pants and fairings.

Next flight the ball is within the lines but still displaced slightly to the right. May need a rudder tab?

The left wing still heavy without the pants and fairings.

Continuing to add weight and fly in different configurations. Airplane seems easier to land with heavier loads. Unofficial initial climbs at gross weight from a 2200? agl airport easily show 1600 fpm or more.

Once I get the heavy wing condition rectified and have the wheel pants and fairings back on and when I am convinced engine is fully broken in, I will begin serious climb and speed tests.

AOA on EFIS is working. Tubing ports were switched behind the panel unit. Duh! I know I checked that at least 3 times. Downloaded AOA setting file e-mailed to me by Travis at AFS.

Measured aileron hinge heights and laid straight edge across aileron and wing. Everything seems to be in order. Squeezed left aileron trailing edge a little.

Ninth flight:

Calibrated AFS AOA. Performed stall tests at higher weights. No real change noted in wing heaviness.

16 hours so far.

Grounded again due to high winds.

I do plan on following AC 90-89A and Vans manual flight testing procedures, and once my engine is fully broken in.

Comments, suggestions and critism welcomed!

Congrats! :)

As to wing heaviness, it's the opposite wing that get's the aileron squeeze. I had a heavy right wing that wouldn't fully correct.........with the full trim tab. My tab is a servo operated hinge style on the right aileron. Stick forces for correction, were very light, though.

Then I noticed that the left aileron had a larger trailing edge radius than the right. I slightly squeezed about 1/2 the length for starters; and it was perfection on the next flight. Before and after the squeeze, the ailerons would "fly" in a very straight position to the rest of the surfaces in level flight. It was just that bit of radius difference, that made so much difference in flight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I meant....

Congrats! :)

As to wing heaviness, it's the opposite wing that get's the aileron squeeze.
L.Adamson --- RV6A

My bad. I did squeeze the right (correct) wing. Does anyone have any experience setting up the PCU 5000X governor with a Hartzell blended airfoil prop and an IO 360 putting out 195 HP? I'd sure like to hear what adjustments if any that you made to the prop / gov.

Congrats Joe!

I also have an IO-260-M1 that will overspeed. I've adjusted the low pitch stop nut once with little affect, but need to adjust again.

Just make sure you get the ball centered (trim tab needed?) before dealing with the heavy wing!

Jim

Here's where I'm at now

Thank you Larry and Jim. I 'd read not to over do the trailing edge squeeze, and that a little goes along way. So, I barely touched it. It made no noticable improvement nor did it make it worse. I'll work on a rudder trim tab now per your advice, then go back to the aileron. I've been scrounging around the garage looking for some balsa wedge from my R/C days, but no joy. I may have to build a trim tab from aluminum and rivet it on. I've wondered if those tabs affect control surface flutter characteristics, though. And I am also concerned about cracking around the rivets. As I mentioned the ball is within the lines and just slightly off center.

On the prop / gov. issue, I moved the screw under the spinner in two full turns, (4 different adjustments) which if IIRC should be a 400 rpm decrease according to the Hartzell manual. On run up I'm getting about 2680 rpm. When she breaks ground on take-off though, she still tries to go over 2700. This is my first c.s. prop so I'm a little lost as how to proceed now. I am currently taking off with the prop control pulled out to a Sharpie mark that I placed on the shaft. It is about an inch and 1/2 from full in. If I do that, the gov. does come on line and tries to catch the rpm but I'm still overspeeding some before the gov. catches up. I don't know whether to turn the screw in more under the spinner or try and adjust the cable throw, or adjust the stop screws that the gov. arm hit. Right now the arm has full travel ' stop screw to stop screw' and I seem to recall something about the RV's not requiring the full throw? My gov. was shipped without a manual.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
The prop fine pitch should be adjusted at full static power without the prop governor effecting it. This means cranking the governor adjustment out to where you are sure it won't effect anything at full power (governor arm stop at full fine pitch). Tie the plane down and run up to full power, set the prop fine pitch accordingly to reach 2700. If you can't get the throttle full in before the target rpm, the pitch needs to go a little more coarse. If you get the throttle all the way in and you can't get 2700, it needs to go a little finer. Just make sure the governor isn't in the loop when doing this setup. The concept of this setup is pretty much straight out of the Hartzell manual. It is important to have the fine pitch set correctly. Only then can you come back and find the magic governor setting to where it will hold the prop at 2700 when unloaded.
Just my 2c. Been there, done that. My Hartzell manual page ref 6-28 (different prop and engine than yours)

Hi Scott,

Your suggestions are pretty much what I've done with the gov. to date. I'll work on it some more, possibly tomorrow after work and report my progress or lack there-of.

The good news is that I found my balsa wedge stock and cut me a trim tab. I taped it on the rudder with aluminum tape this afternoon and went flying at gross weight and with full fuel. Without wheelpants or fairings, at 8000' d.a. and 23" and 2400 rpm my AFS was showing 178 - 180 mph TAS and the ball was centered, but I still had that heavy left wing. I landed and squeezed the right aileron some more. Presto... different airplane. This thing flies hands off, now and I'm ecstatic. It was a beautiful 75 deg. afternoon and the wind died just before sundown and the flying was fantastic! I even made 3 or 4 tail dragger 3 point landings that were squeekers! I'm having the time of my life. 18.4 hours so far. As they say... keep driving those rivets!

Phase 1 complete!

Well, I finished flying off my 40 hours over the weekend, in spite of having to fight off the weather. In all honesty, I suspect the airplane likely flies like most RV-7's. The best thing is that the more I learn about the airplane, the more confidence I get in it and the more fun I have. I got the prop governor and the fine pitch stop on the prop hub adjusted, basically through trial and error and with the help of you guys. It took several tries but I just kept tweaking. The wing heaviness is long gone and she is very stable. The ADI PII is working great and the AFS 3500 is just a wonderful piece of equipment. I'm very glad I spent the extra money on this EFIS / EMS. My tail dragger skills have greatly improved, but I'm definitely not a pro yet. I squeak several landings and then I get humbled with a bouncer or two. I made my first night landings the other night, to get current again. The wingtip lights are better than I expected, adequate, but nothing to brag about. They are better than those in the spam cans I flew, so I'm satisfied. I guess the most surprising thing to me about this airplane is its almost unbelievable climb rate. It is the polar opposite of the Cherokee 140 I owned for 8 years, in that regard. I have several friends and relatives that have been asking for rides, and I have an appointment at a paint shop as soon as the weather allows a cross country flight. I had no real equipment malfunctions or maintenance issues. Thanks for all your help VAF!

Back