What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Fuselage

tabflying

i going to start building the fuselage anyone have a tricks or tips before i start it?
let me if you can help, this is my first RV. thanks.

Last edited:
Not many....other than;

Build a good, solid and STRAIGT jig (yep....some people still have to build these things on jigs).

Keep paying close attention to keeping everything square and plumb during construction. Plumb bobs, laser pointers, etc will come in handy.

Spend a little extra time making sure the main longerons are bent just right, and make sure all the bulkheads fit will. This may and will require some "modification" throughout the build.

Pay special attention to the main side skins where they transition from the main square part of the fuselage to the rounded aft portion right behind the wing attach points. You'll have to cut these skins yourself, and those corners are a real bear. The newer 7/9 kits have that skin finished and that corner is almost a gimme compared to doing it on the -6. Be patient here and it'll pay you back in spades.

Do a good job keeping the seat ribs straight and spaced evenly too, and pay attention to where they attach to the 604 bulkhead, as you'll have to modify some of the ribs to allow for the spar bolts/nuts in the future assembly process.

Don't forget to put the steel spar attach plate in before you finish off that section. It can be a real son of a gun to do later....and....make sure you get the right steel bar in there facing the right direction. All 4 of those things are actually different!

Other than that, just have FUN! They aren't as bad as you might think, and all your friends will think you're building a boat until you pull it out of the jig and flip it over!

I'm sure I forgot a bunch of other stuff, but half the fun is discovering those yourself....

I know after building 2 old slow build RV6's, I can't wait to do one of these new-fangeled prepunched self assembling kits :)

Cheers,
Stein.

Thanks for reminding me about the spar splice plates

One of the other important measurements is the distance between the main and rear spars.

spar splice plate question

I just finished installing my splice plates in anticipation of the day in the not so distant future when I put the wings on. I bought my kit from a builder and the splice plates were already fabricated; did he make these plates or are these made by Vans? I believe they were marked incorrectly as the forward and aft notations were correct but I could not make them fit the 605 bulkhead using the top and bottom as written on the plate. I tried every which way to mount them and finally have them in position and tested them by inserting the close tolerance bolts until the thread potruded through the rear plate. A light tap with a rawhide hammer would seem to be enough to seat them properly. I sure hope this is a valid test as this would be a major obstacle to overcome on wing fitting day. Thanks for allowing me to rant. Jim Woolard.

I know it's early in the process, but plan and pre-drill some wire paths in the varioius structures. Its so easy now,harder later!

For example: Wiring out to the wings must pass thru the seat ribs somehow.
Headsets must plug-in somewhere. Autopilots need wires. Antennas need wires.

Suggestions if you do not know yet:

On the 6, at least drill (3) 3/8 inch holes about two inches behind the large lightening hole in each seat rib within about 1.5 inches of the top or bottom of the rib.

Predrill several wirepaths in the cabin vertical ribs so wires can be run immediately under the arm rests and canopy deck.

Other builders need to chime in here. What you you folks recommend?

For construction tips for slow build 6's,check out the Frank Justice section on Hovan's web page at http://www.matronics.com/rv-list/hovan/home.html
from back in the day...

Frank Justice Manual Addition (Last updated on 4/13/1997)

Send mail to Frank Justice

Overview
Construction Notes
Manual Revision History
Empenage Construction
Horizontal Stabilizer (Last Updated 4/7/1995)
Right Elevator
Left Elevator
Trim Tab (Note: This section was incorporated into the Left Elevator Document)
Empenage Finish
Wing Construction
Wing Kit
Pre-Drilled Main Spar and Rear Spar Assembly
Wing Rib Preparation
Aileron and Flaps
Leading Edge Skin Assembly
Tanks
Wing Top Skin Fitting
Bottom Skins Fitting
Wing Final Assembly
Fuselage Construction
Fuselage Kit (Last Updated 11/18/95)
Fuselage Bulkhead Construction (Last Updated 2/10/96)
Jigging the Fuselage (Last Updated 2/11/96)
Removing the Fuselage from the Jig (Last Updated 2/10/1996)
Gear Leg (Last Updated 1/3/1997)
Finishing (Last Updated 4/13/1997)

JimWoo50 said:
One of the other important measurements is the distance between the main and rear spars.
Platinum advice. An alien concept to newer kit builders, before the era of shake and bake assembly we always had that little nagging doubt in the back of our minds until the wings were eventually mated to the fuselage. "Will they fit?" What I did to help insure the correct distance between the main spar and the rear spar clevis was to clamp 36" aluminum yardsticks to the jig assembly as a constant visual reference to insure that critical spacing never changed while the fuselage was being built up. Make no mistake, more than one RV has run into serious problems because the wings would not mate with the fuselage properly. Just be constantly aware of the fore and aft, up and down relationship between the 604 bulkhead and the rear spar clevis on the fuselage and their respective mating locations on the wings.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Just a few thoughts

I'm just finishing my SLOWWW build -6A. I agree with everything that has been posted so far and from my experience have a couple more to add. I was told to think from the inside out... sounds funny but you'll see what was meant. As you are working on things think about what gets attached to it later! The rivet spacing on the side skins can give you a few surprises if you don't think about where the final rivets will fall. You can get very close to a bulkhead and make riveting a nightmare. Since this is my first RV I have to admit I was nervous but having the GBO videos helped and a good web search often helped by seeing how others handled a particular part. As for the electrical, I saw an installation on the web where a pvc conduit was run from a junction box under the seats to the back with a couple juntion boxes in between for break outs.
Lastly... if in doubt... ask. There are a lot of very clever folks on this site, at Vans or at your local EAA chapter. Have fun and remember measure twice, cut once, happy riveting.
-Paul

Best supplement to Van's instructions for the fuselage

I have the Orndorff videos for the RV-6 and have downloaded/printed the Justice and Bunny written instructions for the fuselage. Just curious, which of those three did you folks find most useful in building the fuse?

Also, I lost the fuse instructions from my preview plans. I won't be able to order the fuselage kit for several more months, but I'd like to read thru the instructions and get a bit of a head start (good night-time reading, instead of watching the junk that passes for TV entertainment these days...Red Wings hockey and Pistons basket ball excepted...don't even get me started on the Lions). Anyone have a scanned copy of the instructions that they could send to me? Semper Fi, John

Back