What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Instrument Panel Oversize

Bob Mears

I ordered an instrument panel blank from Van's by the part number and received the oversized one. They both have the same number in the parts list. I guess you can just cut the top off shorter to make the standard model from the oversized blank. It appears the oversized blank is about 2 1/2 inches deeper than the standard if the drawing is used for a guide.
By the way the reason I am ordered another blank is because I made the original one up before I got the fuselage built only to learn that is about 1/4" narrower than my longerons. I checked the blank and it is exactly the same width as my longerons, so I will make it to match. Otherwise I will have to do all the shimming and I hate shimming.

So,the question is: what differences (good and bad) can I expect if I go with the oversized dimensions of the new panel blank?

Bob Mears

Plan your panel before you cut the excess off. I ordered an oversize for mine because I needed 9/16" more depth. The 2 1/2' would have caused knee clearance problems for me, but I needed just a little more for my panel layout.

Cameron Smith
RV4 #68 finishing engine installation

Waiting to cut your panel

Another thing I would do is wait until you make sure that the canopy fits the panel before you cut it. It doesn't make sense to me to cut the top of the panel until you know how it matches up with the canopy frame.

andrsnj said:
Another thing I would do is wait until you make sure that the canopy fits the panel before you cut it. It doesn't make sense to me to cut the top of the panel until you know how it matches up with the canopy frame.

The drawings from Van are very clear as to how high the arc of the panel is to be so I would think I would be OK if I don't raise that part and just make up the extra 1/4" that the drawings show across the beam of the cockpit. I will clear that with Van's before I do it but really I have no choice since I have to span the distance regardless. I thought it was interesting the panel blank was exactly 1/4 wider than the dimensions on the drawing.

I have heard that there could be problems with knee clearance if you get the bottom of the panel too far below the level of the longeron. I wanted to hear from someone that had experience with the extended version and what choices they made in trying to maximize the panel space without creating knee interference.

Bob Mears

n38139 said:
What part number did you order?

Steve

I ordered Part No. F-403. It came to me as F-403 OVSZ or something like that as marked on the wrapping. Fine with me. I will just cut it to size. I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity to make the panel bigger if I could without compromising needed knee space.

Back