What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-8 Canopy

Adam

Well Known Member
Hay guys,

I am installing the Plexi on my RV-8 and was wondering if anyone attached the Plexi to the frame useing screws tapped into the frame. I like this better than the rivet method and don't want to glue.

Thanks,
Adam S.
Finnish Kit :)

Screwing on canopy

I glued my canopy on, but if I were to use mechanical fasteners, I think small screws would be a good choice. It seems a lot of people get cracks due to the stress of the rivet.

I, and two other local RV8 builders have used screws to attach the canopy and skirt to the canopy frame. We used #6 screws. Once everything is screwed on, we turned the assembly upside down and glued the canopy to the frame using proseal. This method holds the canopy on with two fastener methods and leaves the skirt removeable. Depending on who you listen to, make the holes in the plexi up to 1/3 larger than required, for expansion; however, I didn't make mine quite that large. My constructions is new; however, this method has held up well on my friend's RV8 for several years and looks great.

Back