What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Actual RV-3(b) weights

What is the typical real world empty weight for the typical RV-3 or RV-3b?

Van lists the empty weight as 750 lbs for an RV-3b with an electrical system, but has anyone built one with an O-320 getting close to that weight? Randy Lervold says he's shooting for 800-820 pound range with his, by the time I add 30 gallons of fuel, my fully dressed weight of 215 pounds, a sectional map, snacks and sunglasses to that weight I'm over Van's design limit of 1100 pounds.

No 3's are listed on Dan C's W&B database, their pilots must be having too much fun to spend time doing the web thing.

RV-3 Yahoo group

There is an RV-3 Yahoo group that has a database of several RV-3's of various configurations. Don't know if you've seen those or not. You do need to be a member to see the stuff.

KiloWhiskey said:
What is the typical real world empty weight for the typical RV-3 or RV-3b? I'm over Van's design limit of 1100 pounds. No 3's are listed on Dan C's W&B database, their pilots must be having too much fun to spend time doing the web thing.
I put a little "registry" in the database section on the YahooGroups site that has 25 listings. Here's the link...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV-3/database?method=reportRows&tbl=1

Also, I plan on setting my gross weight at 1,200 lbs which is no problem as far as Van is concerned.

Randy

Here's what I found in the database you all pointed me to for completed aircraft:

Engine Type_________O-320___O-290___O-235
Number of samples_____8_______2_______1
Average weight (lbs)__784.8____724.0___775.0
Standard Deviation____32.6_____8.5_____0.0
Max Weight (lbs)______847.0____730.0___775.0
Min Weight (lbs)______730.5____718.0____775.0

It shows me a mere mortal can build a plane light as Van, if they choose to do so. Thanks for the help.

Thought I'd update this thread... the YahooGroups registry was decommissioned a long time ago. I put up a registry on my web site which can be seen here.

Anyone with a flying RV-3 is encouraged to send me info to post. If you do so please include all the info indicated, and feel free to add as much into in the "comments" box as you like, we're all interested!

Back