What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help!

NYTOM

Well Known Member
I just received a email from my engine supplier telling me that they have started to build my new 0360 engine that I've been waiting 16 weeks for but can't finish until I complete a questionaire about the LASAR ignition they are installing. They need to know 1. if I'm using type "K" or "J" probes on the CHT and 2. what type Spark plug gaskets and 3. the length of the routing of wire from the control box to the "P" lead connection on both mags. I'm at a loss here. I'm planning on using the ESI 4000 unit and was wondering if anybody has installed that system and can help me out here.To be truthful I just received the RV-6A fuselage kit so it will be a while before I even get to install it. I've been working on this since 1995 with a lot of time off to put two kids through college.This year I've finally reached a point in my life where I can get back into the air so I'm getting everyting I need to complete the plane now. Also the prices on engines are rising so fast I figured I better get one before there out of sight. I can mount the control box anywhere at this point so if anybody has installed the ESI 4000 on a O-360 I would really appreciate any help. I looked at the Grand Rapids site but so far I haven't found the info on the probe types they use and I'm panicing here.OK, nuff said. :confused:

A quick call to Todd or Greg (at GRT) will get the answer to most of the GRT-related questions. I have their stuff (no LASAR though) but am not at the airport and don't remember. I am sure they can tell you the probe type.

James

NYTOM said:
I just received a email from my engine supplier telling me that they have started to build my new 0360 engine that I've been waiting 16 weeks for but can't finish until I complete a questionaire about the LASAR ignition they are installing. They need to know 1. if I'm using type "K" or "J" probes on the CHT and 2. what type Spark plug gaskets and 3. the length of the routing of wire from the control box to the "P" lead connection on both mags. I'm at a loss here. I'm planning on using the ESI 4000 unit and was wondering if anybody has installed that system and can help me out here.To be truthful I just received the RV-6A fuselage kit so it will be a while before I even get to install it. I've been working on this since 1995 with a lot of time off to put two kids through college.This year I've finally reached a point in my life where I can get back into the air so I'm getting everyting I need to complete the plane now. Also the prices on engines are rising so fast I figured I better get one before there out of sight. I can mount the control box anywhere at this point so if anybody has installed the ESI 4000 on a O-360 I would really appreciate any help. I looked at the Grand Rapids site but so far I haven't found the info on the probe types they use and I'm panicing here.OK, nuff said. :confused:

LASAR info

Here's what I have with my LASAR and EIS 4000 setup on a RV-7A. The LASAR low-voltage control harness (LVCH) has two 18"-long cables that run to the mags. The part number is LH1004-17 (from my invoice and page 11 of UNISON's L-1504 Product Application Manual). You can get shorter 12"-long cables but the extra length offers more flexibility. My control box is mounted on the lower-left side of the firewall. The LVCH connects the control box and mags as well as providing generous lengths of wires for power, ground, CHT probe and cockpit-located mags switches and warning light. The wires that run to the mag switches are not shielded and, with a LASAR, don't need to be. The probe the supplier mentioned is a dual-output CHT probe. One set of wires goes to the EIS and the other goes to the control box. I have a J-probe and with the white-sheathed wires going to the control box and the brown-sheathed wires going to the EIS. I found that the EIS CHT indication was about 30-degrees less with the dual-output probe than with the single-output probe that came with the EIS on the same cylinder. Hope this helps.

John Nystrom
N7VD

Thanks James,John & Jeff

I contacted GRT before I got any responces for my cry for help and spoke with Sandy who straightened me out on the type of probes used on the ESI 4000. I'm going to go with John Nystrom's setup and order with the 18 inch cables. He's right, it will give me a lot more flexibility in my installation. I'm still not sure why they need to know what kind of spark plug gaskets I want though. I thought the only kind out there was the copper type but see in Aircraft Spruce's catalog that they now have a "folded metal" type.Any body have any thoughts on those. Seems like I might have a corrosion problem with that type living here in the Northeast. Thanks again for helping me out so fast.
Tom

Back