What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 efficiency

randylervold

Guys,

I came across this screen dump generated during my flight to OSH this past summer and thought you might enjoy some eye candy as a diversion. Take a close look at some of the data...

SS072403.JPG

• 177 mph TAS on 4.8 gph
  • 39 mpg (statute), granted with a bit of a tailwind
  • Cruising at 17,500', the -3 has no problem getting to that altitude even all loaded up with a week's worth of OSH gear and O2.
  • Running ~70° LOP
Granted, this is with a healthy IO-320 with LASAR ignition and balanced injectors, but I think this speaks to the efficiency of the airframe. Yes, all RVs are relatively efficient aircraft, but the little RV-3 with it's low wetted surface, light weight, and low drag takes this to another level. While 29.4 gallons of fuel capacity you might this the -3B has limited range -- do the math with this fuel burn and TAS, I've already done 830 sm flights. With $5.00 avgas this makes cross country flight much more affordable too.

To those still building, you're gonna LOVE this airplane!

Last edited:
Note to Iron...

All I want for Christmas is an RV-3B tail kit.......and the time to get started on the build! :)

Best RV?

Randy,
I shared a hangar with an 0-235/non electric RV3 when I had my RV4 in VA in 96'. I flew it alot and I routinely saw 6 GPH at 150 knots. With a 22 gallon nose tank you could nearly match my RV4's range. Light controls, simple and fun. The -3 is the absolute most bang for small bucks...

Smokey

PS:I still wouldn't trade one for my HR2...

John Harmon's idea of a -3!

Last edited:
I want one of each

That would be an AFS for my current build as well as an RV-3 for my next plane. I'm with Mel...I wanna bang some rivets for a change!:D
I'm beginning to see a 3-B tail kit in the crystal ball.

Dan B
Mesa, AZ
Kitfox IV, 912s

Back