What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tail light wiring

Scott Cutler

I'm New Here
What are the different ways to wire the tail light in the bottom fairing? Where/how did people ground the light? How was the wire fed through the forward part of the fairing and still allow for rudder removal? Any pictures?

rv8ch said:
I am going to ground my tail light using my strobe light shield.

The instructions for my storbe power supply said to ground the shield only at the power supply end. I think that this is to keep the strobe pulses from radiating outside of there wire. I would be concerned about the tail light causing more radiation. It won't hurt the light, but might it feed into something else more sensitive.

Anyone with more RF knowledge care to comment?

Kent

Using strobe shield for ground

Just to clarify, the strobe shield will only be grounded at one end, at the strobe power supply. I would have never dared doing this with my miniscule knowledge of electrons, but 'lectric Bob said it's ok.

Last edited:
rv8ch said:
Just to clarify, the strobe shield will only be grounded at one end, at the strobe power supply. I would have never dared doing this with my miniscule knowledge of electrons, but 'lectric Bob said it's ok.

Geez, I hate to contradict 'ol Bob. He's and engineer and I'm not. But I have played around with ham radio for years. My concern is that raising the strobe cable shield voltage above ground in order to carry current back to the ship ground might be inviting ground current loops and radio noise. If it works for you then maybe I'll try it, too. Let everyone know how it works. Steve.

Back