What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leather Vs Cloth; Aviator Vs Sportsman

TTU_RV7

Hey Everyone,

I am at that point where I need to buy my seats and I need help making the decision. I have pretty much settled on Classic even though they are expensive because their seats incorporate the seat back and have the lumbar supports. Both are features which I really like and am willing to pay for.

So here is where I need help:
1. Cloth vs. Leather.
Both cloth and leather hold up pretty well over timeand both are comfortable. I like the look of leather better than cloth, but the Tx sun can really heat up the leather to leg scorching temps. I know at the end of the day it's my call, but any input on your experiences would be helpful.

2. Sportsman vs Aviator
This is a little harder. I have not had a chance to sit in either seat, but I know quite a bit about the memory foams and their benefits. Both seats now have the lumbar support (way :cool:.) So my question is this. My understanding is the Sportsman uses less foam than the Aviator, but is the $820 difference for the Aviator really worth it?

Thanks all.

Mike

I thought they have changed the Sportsman seats a little recently but I'm not sure. I went with the Aviators as I liked the look with the rounded upper seat corners, and the built-in lumbar support was a very nice add-on (it was one of my requirements). I did go with leather as I'd seen their work previously. After 50 hours in the airplane so far, I have no regrets about the seat decision. I can't speak to the heat issue down there as I'm in Seattle, but I know on a chilly day, leather is also cold until you get it warmed up!

Leather is also heavier.

Good! That helps account for my plane being somewhat heavier! :D

I have the leather Sportsman, and like them a lot. I had already built the Van's seatbacks (which the Sportsman uses).

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I'm glad I have gray fabric on the hot and cold days. Never been a fan of leather in cars or planes.

Aviator interior

Well Mike, I would love nothing more than to give you all the info you require to make an educated desision. I do how ever have in hand CAD's Aviator leather seats and leather interior (medium gray on light gray) I knew that I would be going with the Aviator line from the get go, so fabricating the seat backs wasn't even on the radar:rolleyes: The leather that CAD suppies is very nice. I am not in the air yet, but I have set my seats in place, parked myself in the pilot's seat and made funny engine noises (yes, I did log the time). Tne seats are very comfy! Sportsman? Sorry, I went for the Gold right off the chocks! My daily vehicle has leather. super easy cleaning...this should translate to easy cleaning in the airplane. As to the weight issue,
I live in a mountainous valley....IO-390. Although I would like to build my 7a feather light (like some RV4 or something) I know that isn't going to happen so, carrying some extra weight unfotunatley, is unavoidable. I think 42 pounds for the entire kit. Now that's not 42 extra pounds, thats 42 total for the interior. Regards

I'm glad I have gray fabric on the hot and cold days. Never been a fan of leather in cars or planes.

My Chevy Silverdo has heated leather seats, and so does my wife's Toyota. You can't beat them for heading out to work on a cold winter day! I'd say we're definately fans of "leather"...........diesels and Lycomings... :D

L.Adamson

There is another choice. I've got their vinyl/cloth set for my -8. It is so 'leather like' that it fools people all the time. They just can't believe it's not leather. Just easier to keep clean and cost less.

If you haven't yet, order a sample set of all their offerings and the choice will be much easier.

Mike.....

....I have Classis Aero's seats and they are really nice....400 hours now, but in the summer, my legs drip sweat against the vynil (sp?) around the front and sides. If I did it over again, I'd definitely go cloth only. You're in a similar climate as ours...hot, hot ,hot in the summer...100 deg.

Regards,

Fabric is good.
Yeah, but cows are tasty! :)

Serious question - why doesn't anyone cover seats in that vinyl "leatherette" material? IIRC, it doesn't cost any more than fabric and seems to be very durable these days (as opposed to what we had in the 1980s). It cleans better than cloth and appeals to the cheap side of me.

TODR

Seat heaters

Something else to consider if you're going to install seat heaters: The Aviators allow heaters were as the Sportsmans do not. CAD will do Sportmans at your insistence if that's what you _really_ want. IIRC, it had to with the fact that the seat cover on the Sportmans are glued in place so replacing a heater would take some effort. Give Anna @ CAD a call - she was more than helpful with our selection/design. Go Cloth!! ;)

Take care

Heated Seats

Something else to consider if you're going to install seat heaters: The Aviators allow heaters were as the Sportsmans do not. CAD will do Sportmans at your insistence if that's what you _really_ want. IIRC, it had to with the fact that the seat cover on the Sportmans are glued in place so replacing a heater would take some effort. Give Anna @ CAD a call - she was more than helpful with our selection/design. Go Cloth!! ;)

Take care

Well this answered the question I had while reading this thread. I love the heated seats in my car and plan to put them in the plane. I have already bought the heating elements. I am starting out with some used seats but eventually would like to upgrade to something with the adjustable lumbar support. Anyone else have seat heating in these seats.

Cheer

Ultraleather is a mid priced option, about half way between leather, and cloth.

It wears better than leather, weight is less, and it stretches better.

This is what we chose for our interior, after paying a visit to Classic Aero.

My wife and I were both very impressed with the entire operation there, as well as with the Ultraleather product.

Good luck.

Thanks

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the input.I wasn't aware of the Ultraleather option, so I will check into that. In fairness, I haven't called CAD yet to talk to them about specifics, I was just getting information from their website.

I don't have the need for the seat heaters, so I don't need to worry about that. Not really any need for them here in TX. :D

Thanks again.

Mike

If you are going to be flying passengers while doing aerobatics, consider that leather and vinyl will be easier to clean up afterwards...
'nuff said...

I have been flying the Aviator for two years now.

I love the seat and they are leather. I don't need the headrest, but my wife likes them.
The only problem that I have with them is fighting the shoulder straps coming around the headrest. It doesn't want to go one strap on each side, but will tend to try to flip both to one side of the headrest.

I am think about getting the shoulder straps replace with ones that divide closer to the attach cable. Does anyone see a problem with this and know where I could get this custom made version of the shoulder straps?

Kent

?Parachute?

Does the Aviator style preclude wearing a parachute? I was planning to use removable seat and seat back cushions in my 8 for that reason.

Chuck

I am think about getting the shoulder straps replace with ones that divide closer to the attach cable. Does anyone see a problem with this and know where I could get this custom made version of the shoulder straps?
Hey Kent, How about getting shoulder harness with individual straps. Then they can come together at the attach cable.
Or another possibility would be to use individual cables. This would put the "split" back in the tail cone.

Integrated Seat

Chuck,

The thing to remember about CAD seats is they integrate the seat frame into the back cushion so it is all in one. You can still easily remove the bottom cushion if you want to use a seat type chute, but the seat back removal means you still need to reinstall the metal seat back.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Parachute follow up

Does the Sportsman series also use the integrated back? I thought only the Aviator did.

Chuck

Mel, that's an idea

Hey Kent, How about getting shoulder harness with individual straps. Then they can come together at the attach cable.
Or another possibility would be to use individual cables. This would put the "split" back in the tail cone.

I don't think two cables would work, because I would need to have two routes (on each side) through the baggage bulkhead.
If two belt end brackets will fit into the cable clevis, then that might be an option. With it splitting that far back it should ride past the headrest correctly.

So where does I guy go to find such a thing?

Kent

So have you considered sheepskin? I know Classic doesn't offer this, and frankly I'm surprised that none of the major suppliers seems to.

Look into the cockpit of any airliner and you'll see sheepskin covers. They are neither cold nor hot, they absorb sweat, and are really comfortable. I've had them in my RV-8 since the beginning (3+ years) and love them. Ask Classic if they'd consider it. (To anticipate your question, I got mine from Becky Orndorff.)

Just a thought.

Chris

Back