What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photos of performance @ 11,500 & 12,500

R.P.Ping

Well Known Member
I flew this afternoon and took some pictures of the EFIS at 11,500 and 12,500.
The Ground Speed is top screen upper left corner. True Airspeed is in the lower box to the right of HEADING SELECT. You can also see the wind indication in white letters on the lower right of the top screen. You can compare ground speed with head/cross wind and true airspeed and it all seems to be telling the same story. Also the main point is to show power setting, fuel flow and true air speed. Not much difference between 11,500 and 12,500. I have a picture of 10,500 but I still had the power in for the climb, 2660 RPM. The plane had plenty of power left. I?ll have to fill my O2 bottle and see what it will do.
Bottom line...156kts, 7.1gal/hr, 12500ft.
What an amazing airplane!
And Bill, I did a few stalls on the way back in...no flaps,47kts, full flaps, 39kts.
I still have to load it to gross and go fly.

100420050076jc.jpg

100420050117wc.jpg

Last edited:
R.P.Ping said:
Bottom line...157kts, 7.1gal/hr
What an amazing airplane!
And Bill, I did a few stalls on the way back in...no flaps,47kts, full flaps, 39kts.
I still have to load it to gross and go fly.

Roger,

Thanks for the posting and the numbers! You are right, "What an amazing airplane!" Oh man, I so want to finish mine!

Dual GRT

Love the pics of the dual GRTs. Do you have any more pics showing other screens - Split screen, Map, HSI? I'm envious.

Switches

Roger,

I really like the lines of your panel labels. Are those stickers, or is it engraved? Looks sharp!

Scott

The panel was silk screened. I made up all the labels in excel and transferred them to an Adobe program, and can't remember the name. I cut the labels and taped them in the correct positions to show the printer how it should look. Then they did their thing! It wasn't cheap, I think it was around $180. I think this is the best way to get a professional looking panel and worth every penny.

Ditto on the panel labels and GRT. Both look very nice. Can we get a wider shot of your panel?

Once question on the GRT. I noticed in the top picture of the second set you posted, the top screen says MAP is 19.2 and the bottom screen says 19.3. Kind of strange. Don't they both use the same sensor?

Dave

Sunlight readability?

How easy are the GRTs to read in direct sunlight? I gather those photos were taken in the daytime, unretouched, etc.? If the Sun was behind your shoulder and shining on the screens, would they still be readable? They look great...I'm starting to lean towards GRT.

Thanks for posting this data. Nice panel, and congratulations on wonderful airplane.

Martin

mgomez said:
How easy are the GRTs to read in direct sunlight? I gather those photos were taken in the daytime, unretouched, etc.? If the Sun was behind your shoulder and shining on the screens, would they still be readable?

As GRT says, they are sunlight readable. If the sun is shining directly on them they do get washed out a bit but are still readable. In the limited time I have flown them I have not found this to be a problem. I find the abundance of information available to me far out weighs the few times when they are not as bright with full sun light on them. Just the other day I noticed a slight increase in cylinder head temp and EGT on cylinder 2. I found a broken primer line on that cylinder. I never would have gone looking for this problem if not for the graphic display. And no... I don't work for GRT.

I'm curious as to other -9's and their performance, if they are seeing the same numbers that I am? I would also like to know how a similarly equipped -7 performs. I wonder if the -9 wing make much difference, especially at altitude? I have been told by Van's that the -9 wing loves altitude.

Last edited:
Back