What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

malfunctioning Cleco air tool

I bought a pistol-grip air tool for grabbing cleco's:

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=313&Category=88

When it arrived, I gave it the usual few drops of air tool lubricant, and used it happily for several hours. It seemed like a good buy.

Now, two days later, I grab it, lube, and find it doesn't work. When air is supplied, the piston (that compresses the cleco) comes full out, and does not retract until the air supply is removed. The trigger is not affecting the piston.

Any suggestions? There aren't any obvious adjustments, and I didn't get any sort of user manual. (There isn't even a brand name.)

don,

i have the same tool. does the plunger return on it's own when the supply is removed? or do you have to push it in? do your other air tools work? might not be the tool??? just wonder if it could be the air supply line? hmmm...

The piston retracts promptly by itself, when the air supply is removed.

My air drill works fine, so I don't suspect the air supply. I did try cranking the supply down from 90 PSI to 60, to see if the Cleco tool preferred less pressure. The behavior didn't change.

When I supply air, the trigger is very hard to depress, but it can be done. Nothing happens except that the tool stops spilling air.

I have the same tool , but have not used it as yet. It also doesnt look like you can get into it very easy. :(
I would just give TheYard Store an Email. They are a very nice group of people.
Please post if you have to replace or repair the unit.

jamie

I got one of those tools from the Yard Store. I had to pull it apart the first day and grease the inside. It was sticking like yours. A friend had to do the same thing to his. It's really quite easy to pull apart. A couple of minutes and you'll be back in the game.

Umm, could you be a little more specific about *how* to open it up?

Actually, maybe a lot more specific. Is there some tool for grabbing the spring clip around the base of the piston? Then what?

Back