What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Piney Pinecreek Border Airport

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Piney Pinecreek (http://airnav.com/airport/48Y) is located on the border between MN and Canada and should be the northernmost airport in the lower 48 (USA). In researching specifics of getting there I was concerned that I would have to go through hoops to get into and out of Canada. It turns out that if your intention is to land in the USA then it is no different than any other US airport. No passport. No customs decal. No two-hour notifications.

So a three day spell of suitable weather between CO, MN and MI and I was off. One fuel stop at Pierre SD and a T&G at Grand Forks ND and soon I was approaching Piney Pinecreek. Initially I was going to make straight in for Rwy 33 but decided to make a normal pattern which put me in Canadian airspace eh!

Touching down in the USA with roll-out ending in Canada. Turn around and taxi back to the USA then to the self-serve fuel pump. It only dispenses 20 gallons but that was enough to get me to Brainerd MN for the night.

This is the trusty plane at the airport:

PineyPinecreek1Small.jpg

I stopped by the US Customs office then walked over to the Canadian side to say hi. A few minutes later back to the US Customs to ensure that I was legal to reenter the US and back to the plane for the trip to Brainerd.

This is the airport after departure:

PineyPinecreek2Small.jpg

It was interesting to see the vast number of lakes in MN:

MNLakesSmall.jpg

Groundspeed going to Brainerd was around 205 knots so the trip was quick. I had called for a rental car while in Piney Pinecreek so that ready for me when I arrived.

Last edited:
Days 2 and 3

On the way to the airport I saw a Babe (Paul Bunyun) dressed in scuba gear.

DiverBabeSmall.jpg

After verifying that the weather was ok going east I departed for Oshkosh where I made one T&G

OshkoshSmall.jpg

I climbed to 13,500' to cross Lake Michigan. The view behind me just after passing the shore is here:

LakeMichigan2Small.jpg

Here is the GNS 430 screen shot:

ScreenSmall.jpg

Landing at Kalamazoo was uneventful except that 100LL was very pricey.

I left yesterday and finally had my obligatory issue with ATC. I requested flight following to Red Oak IA. After several South Bend frequency changes they let me go. Seemed odd with O'hare coming up ahead. So I contacted O'hare approach. Eventually they cut me loose too but as they did mentioned a jet ahead four miles 500 feet above me. It had already passed me. I did climb to avoid any possible wake turbulence then descended to minimize headwinds.

I then contacted Center to reengage flight following for the third time. The controller asked my aircraft type. After telling him RV6 he said he thought I was an aerobatic airplane with all the maneuvers I made and that he had to vector aircraft around me.

I told him that is why I use flight following and he should ask Chicago approach why they let me go. I guess I just don't get it. Use flight following for safety reasons and to help avoid conflicts with airlines yet in this case I was released twice.

So what gives FAA/ATC? Do you want me to use flight following for the reasons stated or not?

Last edited:
Chicago Approach

Ron,

I fly to South Bend quite often to see family and Chicago Approach just does not seem to want to deal with flight following. I find South Bend Approach quite helpful, but they have stopped trying to coordinate VFR handoffs with Chi App (as has Rockford). They will give you a freq, but I have a devil of a time getting Chi App to pick me up. Chi Center and Rockford approach are always willing to help. I did have one good experience with them on a night flight, they were just not so busy.

I guess this is where workload permitting applies.

When I lived in Southwest Michigan near South Bend, Chicago ATC was notorious for being GA-unfriendly. The South Bend guys, on the other hand, were extremely helpful all through my flight training (including numerous practice IFR approaches). I guess it comes down to workload, like Pete said.

Thanks for the trip report. :)

Back