What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idaho Airpark Living - Red Baron Estates

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
This is a re-post from my Virtual Hangar entry. I thought I'd put it here in the Northwest section as well, with its own thread.

We bought some property on an airpark and we're building our house with a hangar built-in for our RV-6. I'm sure there are a few others out there that are thinking about living on an airpark, so I thought I'd post a link to our construction pictures. Maybe some of our stuff will help give you ideas for your own house.

After my first post, I had a couple of questions about the airpark, so here is some additional info. Our lot is on Red Baron Estates airpark, which is located about 20 miles east of Boise. It's about a 20 minute drive down I-84 to get downtown - very easy. If you look at the Google map on the Picasa pictures (i.e. click on the picture of our house), there is an icon showing exactly where the airpark is.

Red Baron is a very new development. We have a nice asphalt-paved runway and there are about 30 lots on the field. All the lots are at least 1.5 acres, with a few that are 4+ acres. Right now, there are only 5 houses (including mine) that are completed on the development. Two of them are unoccupied spec houses that were built about a year and a half ago. Most of the rest of the lots are for still for sale - expect to pay about $100K for one. There is only 1 airplane actually flying off the runway right now, and he uses a hangar that was on the field before it was converted to an airpark. The other homes do not have hangars, yet - ours will be the first one that is full-up. For anyone that is interested, you can call the developer, Ken Casper, at 208-794-7077 for details. He plans to have a website up sometime in the near future, but I don't think its up yet.

There are only 2 other airparks in the vicinity of Boise. "Sunrise" has been around for decades, is pretty small, and has long since been fully developed. The other one is located another 15 minutes or so farther from Boise. They have 10 acre lots and is more appropriate if you want to have more room for horses or similar things.

Cost of building here in Idaho (as anywhere) can vary a lot with what you're trying to do. Our home is going to be about 3000 sq ft of living space, plus about 3000 sq ft of garage and hangar. We expect to spend about 350K on building costs - so that comes out to somewhere around $120/sq ft. But don't forget, that includes an enormous amount of unfinished space, as well.

If you would like to know anything else about Red Baron or building here, I'm happy to share. When our house is done, we will be adding it to the RV Hotel listing and we'd be happy to have anyone over - especially if you're interested in building at Red Baron. I think we'll probably have room for another 2-seat RV in our hangar, as well, if you visit.

Cheers,

Back