What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello All our wonderful Aussie friends!

KirkGrovesRV8

Well Known Member
Hey Fellas!:D
Sorry to bother you guys but my family and I are heading to Australia! We are just in the planning stages now but was hoping I might pull some local wisdom from some RV builders/flyers. As of now we are going to set aside three weeks to go(a trip of a lifetime) and would be very very appreciative of any advice on places to go things to do. Also any RVer that wants some free flying time petrol is on me!
Thanks Again and we are really excited about visiting!!:D
P.S. During the Olympics after the Americans the Australians were by far my favorite country to route for!

When in an AU bar, and someone asks you if it is "your shout" just say no or the next round is on you.

There are no "shrimp on the barbie". In AU shrimp are called prawns, and they are the size of your hand.

If you get tired and want to take a "nappie" you will more than likely wake up with a diaper on.

Here you put your feet in a "boot" , there that is where the spare tire goes.

There are no "patterns" around airports in AU. They are called "circuits".

Don't pet the snakes. 9 out of the 10 most poisonous snakes in the world live in AU.

Gun control is out of control.

Officially, AU is still a territory of England, but don't bring that up in a bar. If you do, it's your shout! (See factoid #1)

Crocidile Dundee is a Hollywood character.

Olivia Newton John is the real deal! :eek:

Yes, the water going down the toilet does spin clockwise.

All experimental aircraft must have inverted fuel because "down under" they are upside down. Okay, I made this one up.

Pedestrians NEVER have the right of way. They are targets.

AU citizens are fined $25 for not voting.

Have fun! :D

Last edited:
Auzzys are great! bin thar, dun that

Just one more thing.

Auzzy, Auzzy, Auzzy!!

Oy - Oy - Oy!!

Or so they say:eek:

Auzzy's are great....I know, my son married one!

Last edited:
If we dont vote its more like $130 dollars. It's compulsury to vote otherwise no one would.

It is Aussie Aussie Aussie (corrected spelling).

Our Car boot is called a boot. And yes you can still put your boots on. We dont have diapers.

We love Barbies and beer. Cricket and football (not the one with the round ball thats called soccer).

It will be your shout. We take it in turns. Leaving before your shout is looked down on and you wont be invovled with that group again.

Our guns are to some degree controlled. ie you cannot drop in at the gun shop and buy one. However a guy at the pub in the shout might be able to sell you one.

Only the really tuff (commonly known as stupid) try to play with the snakes. And they are hard to find (the snakes I mean, stupid is everywhere).

We do not have Kangaroos in the cities and Koala bears are not cuddly and friendly as they look.

And lastly Queensland beer tastes terrible. Fosters is the stuff we export because we don't particulary like it.

Last edited:
Hey Thank You guys for all the help advice:D
Looks like we are going to go into Sydney and also to Melbourne and might try to also get up to see the Great Barrier reef.
Thanks Again to all

Only the really tuff (commonly known as stupid) try to play with the snakes. And they are hard to find (the snakes I mean, stupid is everywhere).

G'day mate!

Yea, stupid is clearly not just an Aussie trait, but it seems we (the USA) is working overtime to corner the market! ;)

:eek:

Last edited:
Kirk,
First reply on the Yahoo forum is in. Looks like I will be the conduit and I will copy and post replies on VAF. I have reproduced it below,
John

"Kirk,

I don't think I can offer too much advise as there are many RV'ers smarter than I, but I can offer you a flight along the coast of Sydney in my 7. There is a VFR route that takes you along the coast at 500ft. If you get clearance you can enter Sydney Harbour for a scenic orbit between the Harbout Bridge and the Opera House. In my humble opinion this is one of the best scenic flights anywhere.

If you want to do this you can e-mail me direct at [email protected]

Regards

John Bucknell
Managing Director
TriTel Australia
Unit 6/5-13 Parsons Street
ROZELLE NSW 2039
Phone: 612 98100146
Fax: 612 98102780
Mob: 0417441478 "

Last edited:
If we dont vote its more like $130 dollars. It's compulsury to vote otherwise no one would.

Yeah, but we can get out of it on the basis of religion. Hey, maybe next time I'll claim that one. Wonder if it has to be a "registered" religion, or if I can claim "Van's and RV's" as a religion???:D Heck, I visit the "holy temple" (this site) way more than I'd ever consider going to church, and pay heaps more attention to the "high priests of vans and rv's" (Doug, Iron etc) than I ever did to any church minister.:p

I haven't really started yet, (hope to order "8" emp kit soon) but have a much more "religious" experience here than anything before.

Oh, and yep, voting is simply making a mark on a piece of paper indicating which idiot is most likely to get a large cushy "retirement" payout in a few years.:eek:

Good time to visit AU! The exchange rate during OSH was $.98, today it is $.79! AU is on sale!

I sincerely hope all the VAF AU members look at my factoid post as just good fun. Aussies are fiercely loyal friends and trusted allies to the US, and we are to them. Still, it's fun to poke them with a stick once in a while...a long stick. ;)

Last edited:
Larry
No Worries mate. No one here objects to a bit of two way stick poking. We are always giving it to the Kiwi's (New Zealanders) and receiving equal amounts back. All in good fun and rarely any tears before bedtime.
John
(Melbourne
Australia)

Back