What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3 igniton Install & initial observations with Larry Vetterman of Vetterman Exhaust.

sc_acro2

G3 igniton Install & initial observations with Larry Vetterman of Vetterman Exhaust.

G3ignition install & initial observations during the first flight conducted by Larry Vetterman of Vetterman Exhaust. The install went very smooth on Larry?s RV7a with an IO-360-M1B. Larry already had the G3i module and MSD amplifier mounted up under the instrument panel. A very well thought out clean install.

It was necessary to remove the mags to access the contact points terminal leads to lengthen them. With the points cover off, the coil lead post was easily installed into the cover in the correct area. The mags were re-installed, timed to 25 degrees BTDC and the G3i BNC leads were connected. Ready to go!

______G3i Module & MSD 6a Amplifier______________Coil Stud on Left Magneto cover____________Larry finishing up, Ready to start______

Initial start up, the engine started on the 2nd blade and the first words heard from Larry, ?This is the smoothest this engine has ever run?. The flight test continued with excellent results. On the run up, little to no change in the RPM drop when cycling the left/right ignition. On take off, instant throttle response, smooth clean power climb out to cruise altitude. At 9500ft fuel consumption drop from 9 gph to 8gph. Lean of peak EGT?s changed and CHT?s drop 15?f. Again ?This engine has never run this smooth?.

Thanks again Russ K. for the use of your hanger @ KFNL. You provided an excellent working environment for us.

Hey guys, Thanks for inviting me up to be part of the install, I had a great day!

Sincerely,

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

G3 ignition -any updates?

Was talking with my tech counselor yesterday, has anyone else moved forward with these or have any feedback.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach,FL
RV-10

Last edited:
G3 questions.

Does your unit have an automatic advance feature in it??

If so, is it creating an advance curve based on RPM only, or is it also using manifold pressure and/or CHT???

Thanks.

Hello Mike,
The G3i system does not have a RPM or a manifold pressure advance curve built in. Set magneto base timing as normal as per manufacture recommendations. View the G3i install manual for more info.
Thanks,
Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

Back