What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB center cabin question

ge9a

Well Known Member
So far, my 9A QB kit has been flawless. But today, I think I may have found a mistake that the assemblers made, but I want to summon the advice of others before jumping to that conclusion.

When fitting F-983A (fuel valve cover), per the F-983A ATTACH DETAIL on Dwg 34A, it says "DO NOT RIVET THRU F-904A", which is the center section forward bulkhead. But the two inboard-most holes in the top of F-904A already have nutplates installed in them (from the factory), when I believe they should be installed on the fuel valve cover instead. Has anyone else run into this? I would like to know before I drill them out (from the bulkhead) and continue on.

Thanks for any input.

Greg

absolutely

Greg: Exact same thing happened to me. I scratched my head for about an hour or two, looked at the plans, tried to see if I could make it work, couldn't and then drilled out the nutplate rivets. The nutplates should be where you described. I didn't report the problem to vans, since it was such a minor issue. Maybe I will send them a note. I bet the assembly line has been doing the same thing over and over again for the past two years. I found the error way back in 2003. kit #90508. So, drill 'em out and don't forget that ONLY the rear two holes in the fuel selector top plate get nutplates, the rest get screw holes, which I am sure that you know since you caught the error. Jack

Jack - Thanks for the reply. I'll drill out the nutplates and continue building! I think I will send Van's a heads-up and see what they say.

Thanks again.

Greg

Back