What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oh my! APRS tracks over sectional charts and Nexrad!

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
It was just a matter of time. Looks like we can now view APRS tracks in Google Earth with a sectional chart and real-time weather overlay. There is an article in the newest issue of Plane and Pilot about adding sectional and radar overlays to Google Earth. Of course the author had no clue what this can mean for us APRS fanatics. :D

APRS track-a-holics need to find the October issue of Plane and Pilot. Here is how my return lunch flight from MSL to DCU this afternoon looked with sectional, cloud, Nexrad, and weather overlays (zoomed out to show more map features):

aprs-google-3.jpg

Jeepers! Is this cool or what?

Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.wikihow.com/Overlay-Sectional-Aeronautical-Charts-in-Google-Earth

More details to come as we get a chance to scope out this new option.

Happy tracking!

Last edited:
Sam your killing me.
You define the technology term "early adopter"
Your a photographer?Geez.
You should come work with me at IBM.
Cant make my Google Earth work with sectionals yet.
Still plugging.

edit: OK I figured it out. I also accidently found about 500 other cool features. FOund all aprs devices in us, 3d airspace in the aerocharts section, and so forth. Geez..

Last edited:
edit: OK I figured it out. I also accidently found about 500 other cool features. FOund all aprs devices in us, 3d airspace in the aerocharts section, and so forth. Geez..
Hey Kahuna, have you found a list of iGates, or maybe a list of all pings in the last, say, month? Either would help create a map where APRS coverage doesn't exist.

Google earth question

when I open my flight tracks in Google earth it does not show the whole track. Usually just the last 2 or 3 hits.

anybody know why?

APRS hits

Have you checked the pull-down menu in the upper right corner? It usually defaults to a small amount of time like 1 hour or 15 minutes. You can change it to a larger time period and then hit "Search."

If that doesn't work, then...I DUNNO. :confused:

Don

APRS Hits

Thanks Don, I tried the longest period possible and the whole track is displayed in Google maps but not in Google earth.

Charter Geeks

Sam you're killing me.
You define the technology term "early adopter"
Your a photographer?Geez....

Professional Photographers: Proud charter members of the techno-geek revolution since the 1820's!

You nailed it! :D (S. Buchanan)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back