What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tech Inspector in SF Bay Area?

datsclark

Can anyone recommend an EAA tech inspector in the SF Bay area? I noted about 5 on the EAA search page. I am just finishing up the HS, and I'd like a sanity check on my work.

Also, are any of the local EAA chapters very active? I've seen very little activity on the websites / VAF / etc around the bay area. There are a few RVs out at KPAO, but I have yet to meet any builders around here other than Kevin.

Can anyone recommend an EAA tech inspector in the SF Bay area? I noted about 5 on the EAA search page. I am just finishing up the HS, and I'd like a sanity check on my work.

Also, are any of the local EAA chapters very active? I've seen very little activity on the websites / VAF / etc around the bay area. There are a few RVs out at KPAO, but I have yet to meet any builders around here other than Kevin.

I know a guy named Dan Checkoway who is now based at KPAO. RV-7, EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor, but he's kind of a jerk... :)

Drop me some email off-list: [email protected]

Dan, welcome to the beautiful northern part of the state.

You need to change the info in your profile now-----no mo so cal:D

By the way, even though you cant see the air, it is safe to breathe.

Dan, welcome to the beautiful northern part of the state.

You need to change the info in your profile now-----no mo so cal:D

By the way, even though you cant see the air, it is safe to breathe.

Thanks! I dunno if I'll take SoCal out of my sig just yet...I still have a hangar and some good buds down there. But thanks for reminding me at least to add NorCal. Maybe I'll just have it say "*Cal," cuz that's about right.

So, just in case you need a quick day trip, RV style, come on over to Cameron Park.

For starters, try the NorCal yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorCal-rvlist/). It's not that active but it's worth a shot. I was down there for about 7 years and flew out of HAF and Hollister, as well as being a member of EAA 338. This info mostly about 3 years out of date but....

Dan C just moved up there so he might get something going.

HAF has a couple RVs. Go get to know Brian Branscomb. He's a great local IA with a Vari-EZ. Good guy to know. Also go meet Mark, manager of the cafe' (at least I think he still runs it).

EAA 338 meets at Reid on the 3rd Tuesday. Check out the Chapter website, which I believe is managed by Paul Eastham (RV-9A at South Co). It's a smaller chapter with a high % of RV builders. Good group to know and one of the guys, Mark Russell, on VAF has been finishing an RV-8 for a while.

EAA 62 meets earlier in the month, but is, or was, a really big Chapter. Different strokes for different folks. Also meets at Reid.

The San Carlos Chapter was somewhat active with a number of RVs. I think Kevin Hester (VAF) may have some insight.

Half Moon Bay used to have a chapter but it was really small and I'm not sure if it's still active.

There's a handfull of RVs down at Hollister as well. It's a drive down there, but a great airport with a really diverse collection of airplanes and activities.

If all else fails, you can always start a new EAA Chapter at Palo Alto!

Hope that helps,

Jim
(Former Bay Area Inmate)

Thanks everyone. Dan's agreed to have a look at my workmanship, hopefully that'll go well :) I'll follow up with the local groups--just gotta get out to the airports for the meetings and see whats going down. Seems there may be a more active community around here than I'd surmised.

Builders

I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life and I don"t know any RV builders. I would like too. I guess it is a lack of effort. I am not an EAA tech couselor, but I am an A&P and finishing a RV6. I am glad to hear Dan is up north. Now I know who to call for weighing. Home building is not as big here in the bay compared to other places I have been in the country.

Livermore

There are lots of RVs both flying and being built at Livermore (KLVK). Our EAA chapter 663 meets the first Thursday of the month at the terminal building at 7PM. We have 2 tech inspectors, I'm using Gordon Jones as my "formal" inspector but basically everyone is coming by and giving me their 2 cents! We have a couple of folks in the chapter that come in from the penninsula.

Dan is also clearly be a great choice...local to you and I've heard that he may have built one:rolleyes:

If you're interested in a field trip to Livermore I love having as many sets of eyeballs look at my project as possible. Every kind of question forces me to remember/justify/reexamine all my decisions and processes and tends to make me more and more comfortable with what I'm doing and what I've done. My project is an RV7A that I hope will be flying in the spring.

BTW, Dan: I'd love to have you look over my project as well, if you're in the neighborhood...:)

Jeremy Constant

North Bay

I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life and I don"t know any RV builders. I would like too. I guess it is a lack of effort. I am not an EAA tech couselor, but I am an A&P and finishing a RV6. I am glad to hear Dan is up north. Now I know who to call for weighing. Home building is not as big here in the bay compared to other places I have been in the country.

I'm based at CA35 (San Rafael). I first flew my RV-8 a year ago next week. No major issues, but I only have 70-something hours on it so far.

There are several RV builders at O69 (Petaluma) and at least one flying RV at DVO (Novato). I've heard there are also several RVs at 0Q9 (Sonoma Skypark), but I've never been there. The Sonoma EAA chapter supposedly cooks burgers every Saturday at noon, but I haven't confirmed that. STS (Santa Rosa) has a few RVs too.

EAA Chapters

EAA Chapter 20 is in San Carlos.

Their meeting is the second Tuesday of each month at the Hiller Air Museam in back. Next one is Sept. 9, 2008. There are a couple of tech counslers there.

Dan C stop by if you can. San Carlos not to far from Palo Alto.

Yes Sonoma Skypark has burgers every Saturday and they are pretty darn good. Harris Ranch burgers!!

I belong to both chapters as I fly out of both locations.

People are always welcome at both locations.

Ted

Back