What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Late Notice for Today....

RVadmirer

Well Known Member
Wings & Wheels 2008
Napa County Airport (APC)
Saturday, August 30th 10am to 3:30pm

Hi everyone! this is the official information email on Napa County Airport Day: "Wings & Wheels 2008." As Event Chairman I want to invite you to attend.

What is "Wings & Wheels 2008?" Think of it as "Pacific Coast Dream Machines" in the Napa Valley. There is one major difference... its FREE to the public, there is no admission charge. Airport Day is a PR event to get folks out to their airport to get
up-close and personal with airplanes and pilots and find out that they are just regular folks who learned to fly. It also lets folks learn just what services the airport provides to our community. Events like this are critical to promoting and preserving general aviation.

Here are the facts:

FAST FACTS

* Arrival and set-up time is from 7:30 'til 9:45am (weather permitting). Late arrivals can be handled IF you arrange it in advance and
you can arrive and have your plane parked on Friday if you contact us ahead of time.

* Event hours are 10am to 3:30pm. we are asking participants to leave their planes and cars on display the entire time but early
departures are possible if you pre-arrange it with us before the event.

* No-radio planes are not a problem if we know in advance of the event.

* Each participant receives and event plaque and a $5 food coupon redeemable with our vendors.

* There is no free gas available but 100LL and Jet A are available for purchase on the field.

* Every participant is automatically entered in our "People's Choice Awards" contest. Children and parents will be voting for their
favorite cars and planes in different catagories and trophies will be awarded (including "best of show").

* Transient parking is available for those wishing to fly in, but not display their aircraft.

This event is sponsored by EAA Chapter 167 (Napa/Solano) and the Napa Area Pilots Association who will be covering the costs and providing the volunteer staff.

In addition to aircraft on display, the Napa Valley Cruisers will be coordinating the car show side of the event. All types of Hot Rods, Vintage, Classic and Custom cars will be on display and will also be part of the "People's Choice" awards. Separate trophies will be awarded to the autos.

We will be flying Young Eagles all day and expect at LEAST 120 children to sign up for their free flights. To that end...
we will welcome any pilots who wish to help us fly Young Eagles that day as long as they meet the EAA's requirements for membership and insurance. If you are interested in flying Young Eagles contact Bill Wheadon at 224-3901. YE flights will be from 10am - 3:30pm.

EAA 167 will have an area with aircraft under-construction so that folks can learn about airplane-building. There will be electric cars on display. Airplane-building workshops for KIDS will be held throughout the day where children will put together their own, rubberband-powered airplanes and then fly them. Wine Country Helicoptors will be displaying their Bell Jet Ranger and Napa Valley Biplane Company will be selling biplane rides in their Stearman to the show attendees. CAL Fire will have one of each of its air-attack aircraft on display (wildfires permitting) and one each of its ground fire-vehicles along with firefighters.

Chapter 167 will be raffling-off airplane rides for adults throughout the day with tickets selling for $5 each. Bridgeford Flying Service will be giving the rides.

We will also have demo flights. I will be selecting specific aircraft to park in a special area where they will be displayed but still be able to turn-and-taxi to do flights for the crowd. The demo flights will consist of making a couple of laps in the pattern of 18L or 24 (depending on wind) with low-passes down the runway. While they are passing by, we will talk about the aircraft on our PA system. I am hand-picking these planes for maximum variety in the light-sport, experiemental, ultralight and vintage catagories so that attendees will get to see unusual planes in action as well as on the ground.

I am specifically looking for a Long or Vari-ezee, amphibian, open-air Trike, RV or other low-wing homebuilt, Zenith CH701 or other STOL aircraft and/or one or two vintage tail-draggers/biplanes. Now if some of these aircraft are giving Young Eagle flights then I am not going to duplicate them on the demo flightline.

Travis AFB is having their two-day Air Expo that same weekend and their airshow coordinator is letting the owners of the warbirds attending their event that they can make low passes over our field if they desire to. He will not know how many will opt to do that until closer to the event but we hope to get some fighters and fighter-trainers zooming down our field.

Last year we had 92 cars on display and 40 aircraft, this year we expect about 120 cars and 75 aircraft. Last years attendance was around 1800, this year we expect 2500 to 3000 to attend.

To find out more about any specifics or make special arrangements contact me, Keith Hezmalhalch at 707-226-1076 or toll-free at 1-866-945-3843. Be sure to leave a call-back number if I am unable to answer so I can return your call. You can call at any hour.

Although it is not necessary to contact me ahead of time it would be great to know you are planning on being there so that I have a more accurate idea of the number of aircraft that will be displaying. IF... you respond by email, please keep in mind that I am a full-time business owner and I am NOT able to check or respond to email every day during this time. THE BEST and FASTEST WAY TO GET AHOLD OF ME IS TO CALL. It saves time in the long run.

Whether you decide to show your aircraft or just fly in to attend, I hope to see you there and there is ONE thing I can gaurantee you... you WILL have a great time. Remember, Travis is having their Air Expo that same weekend so you can attend OUR event on Saturday and their event on Sunday!

Thankyou,

Keith Hezmalhalch
Event Chairman

9;30 AM here and Napa still has a 700' broken ceiling. Went over to look and heard a flight of 4 RVs going into Woodland/Watts probably to wait? Also a Quickie was behind them. Several baloons up over the Winters area and crop duters working away below. Hope for clearing soon. Watch out for the TFR around Travis for thier airshow today!

Back