What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight

Skytrash

On Sunday Morning, 9/18/05, around 9:00 AM, The collection of parts that were delivered by UPS, US Mail, FedEx, U-Haul and other means flew together in tight formation for the first time with myself at the controls.

The flight was truly awesome. The take off took less than 500 feet and the climb out was at least 1400 feet per minute. It was easily trimmed for hands off flight. All the engine temperatures and pressures were in the green. I circled the airport at 5,000 feet for about ten minutes and verified my airspeed indicator was close to correct by forming up with Gregg Davidson in his 170B. My airspeed was within a couple of knots so that looked good.

I slowed to 75 knots and lowered 20 degrees of flaps and all was well. Flaps up and then back down to full and slowed to 60 knots. As soon as the slow flight checks were accomplished I went back to full throttle and continued to circle the airport at 140 knots.

After about 25 minutes it was time to descent and land. I entered the pattern from above on the 45 for 19 at Westover. Things happen fast in an RV but the landing was good. I kept the speed up around 75 knots all the way to the runway so needless to say I floated down the runway but then set it down smoothly and kept the nose up as long as possible.

I know have an RV Perma-Grin! :D Thanks to all at Van's for a great kit.

I would also like to thank my great wife Vicki for putting up with me and without me for the last 2-1/2+ years while this project was competed. I could not have done this without her.

Thanks also go to Gregg Davidson for his help and advice on all things aviation and for the hanger space to assemble the airplane. Thanks to Brian Dal Porto for his help as my Tech Counselor.

Blue Skies

Jim Bray

Vital Statistics:
Aero Sport O-320-D1A
Hartzell CS Prop
Slider
Super Soundproof Insulation
Classic Aero Interior
1128 LB Dry Weight
Day/Night IFR

1st Flight Cruise speed 140 knots at 5,000 MSL without wheel pants or gear leg fairings. Climb at 1400+ fpm with pilot and half fuel.

See http://websites.expercraft.com/skytrash/ for more info.

Last edited:
Skytrash said:
On Sunday Morning, 9/18/05, around 9:00 AM, The collection of parts that were delivered by UPS, US Mail, FedEx, U-Haul and other means flew together in tight formation for the first time with myself at the controls.

**Stuff deleted**

Jim Bray
Hey Jim

Congratulations !!!! Welcome to the club. Now you too can enjoy the doubled edged sword of an awesome airplane and high fuel prices :D

Cheers

Way To Go!! I'm only about a year + behind you. Can you post vital stats. for aircraft such as weight, engine, instruments, etc.?
Have fun and enjoy your new ride.

Bill

Congrats!!

Congratulations!! A little late, but I just flew for the first time on the 12th and have been busy. Your 140kts (indicated) is what I show. I'm consistenly 150kts true.
I just put gear les fairings on yesterday and will fly tomorrow and hope to see 7 to 10 kts increase.
I went to your web site....Nice panel!

Have fun, fly safe and don't forget to slow down when coming into the pattern.

Roger

Back