What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smart Tool Digital Angle Finder/Level

N941WR

Legacy Member
My Tech Councilor told me told me to buy a Smart Level before we start to fit the wings in two weeks. After looking at the price of these things from Avery?s ($120) I did an internet search and found them for $89.95 from Speed Partz. I ordered it on Thursday and it arrived the following Monday. Heck, I even called to verify it was the same thing and the price was correct before ordering.

This is one of those tools that I would have never bought myself. I won a gift certificate from Aircraft Spruce many years ago. I had pretty much every tool I needed, so I thought I would get the smart level. Now I wonder how I ever got along without it. It is one of those tools that you don't really NEED, but it surely is handy. The greatest thing about it is the "alternate zero". You don't have to level anything, just place it on your reference and zero it.
Mel...DAR

N941WR said:
My Tech Councilor told me told me to buy a Smart Level before we start to fit the wings in two weeks. After looking at the price of these things from Avery?s ($120) I did an internet search and found them for $89.95 from Speed Partz. I ordered it on Thursday and it arrived the following Monday. Heck, I even called to verify it was the same thing and the price was correct before ordering.

Thanks for the price check, Bill. This is one of those things I've been thinking I'm going to HAVE :) to get at some point, just been putting it off due to price. I think you're right about prices generally. While I love Avery and Cleaveland for quality and service (and will go to them first if they are anywhere in the ballpark price-wise), if it is not an aircraft-specific tool, sometimes you can find the same products for MUCH cheaper elsewhere. I'd never heard of SpeedPartz though.

Smart Tool Digital Level

I like mine, too. One suggestion for those that have not yet ordered one, don't make the mistake I made and buy the tool that is integrated into a longer (2ft) level. I thought I could just take the smart tool out of the longer level if I needed to, for space reasons. However, it is not easy to remove it. Just buy the short (approx 8 inches) level.

rv8ch said:
I like mine, too. One suggestion for those that have not yet ordered one, don't make the mistake I made and buy the tool that is integrated into a longer (2ft) level. I thought I could just take the smart tool out of the longer level if I needed to, for space reasons. However, it is not easy to remove it. Just buy the short (approx 8 inches) level.
QUOTE]

Mickey,
Good point on the extensions. I bought the level, a 24" and a 24" extensions figuring I could use them elsewhere. They cost $12 and $18 respectively.

I do know one thing, my kitchen table is level.

I got mine from Amazon.com (free shipping) for 89.99 and it came with a free 4' bubble level.
My kitchen table, however, is 0.4 deg off level :)

Thomas
-8 wings

Thomas,
If you kitchen table legs have folded aluminum trailing edges, you can "lightly" pinch the trailing edge of one leg to make it level and get the ball centered.
Mel...DAR

P.S. As Foghorn Leghorn would say, That's a yoke, son.

Mel said:
Thomas,
If you kitchen table legs have folded aluminum trailing edges, you can "lightly" pinch the trailing edge of one leg to make it level and get the ball centered.
Mel...DAR

P.S. As Foghorn Leghorn would say, That's a yoke, son.
Mel,
I think you're giving away your age. :) I haven't seen a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon in many a year.

-Mike

Last edited:
Uh, I remember my Grandpa telling me about it.
Yea, that's it, my Grandpa told me.
I'm not as old as my years!
Mel...DAR

Your table meets the proper drainage specifications of 1/8" per foot at 0.4 deg. It's everybody else who's tables are wrong!

TShort said:
I got mine from Amazon.com (free shipping) for 89.99 and it came with a free 4' bubble level.
My kitchen table, however, is 0.4 deg off level :)

Thomas
-8 wings

Back