What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SPOT - Where to put in cockpit?

rjtjrt

Well Known Member
I have just had a reply from Spot customer service to a question about optimum position/orientation.

The reply from Spot customer service was - "The optimum position to maximize satellite reception and message delivery is to keep SPOT horizontal facing upward. (Logo side up). In a vehicle, we can suggest mounting the SPOT messenger on the dashboard, however away from other commercial navigational units such as Garmin or Tom Tom. Please ensure a minimum distance of 5 feet is kept between such units. "
I know I asked OPTIMUM position but this 5 foot suggestion must be a bit hard to achieve in a cockpit.
I wonder what established users have done and where they put the unit?
John

Last edited:
I keep mine clipped to the hand hold hole on the dash of the -10. and in a pocket straight up in the -3. No problems with the other electronics in the plane that I can see. Good reception and message conveyence. I don't use tracking however, just messages. That way my wife don't know where I've been! :eek:

;)

We have it in two places with Velcro.

First is right next to the compass the glare shield, it does affect the compass by a few degrees.

The second is far left of the glare shield almost against the windscreen; there it doesn?t seem to affect anything. BUT you in the pilot seat will have a hard time getting to it.

I put mine

on my shoulder harness on my right shoulder. I can glimpse the little green lights flashing and know it's transmitting and I never forget to turn it off after I land..

on my shoulder harness on my right shoulder. I can glimpse the little green lights flashing and know it's transmitting and I never forget to turn it off after I land..

Ditto here, I clip it to the left shoulder thingy that helps keep the pad in place (Hooker Harness). It's a vertical mount but I've had no problem with reception/transmission. No noticeable effect on the avionics.

Chris

Back