What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Micro-Trak All-In-One ready to ship

Sweeeeet

This looks sweeeeet.:cool: Couple questions:

1. Since the GPS is included, is there provision for an external GPS antenna? Or does this need to be mounted on the glareshield, in full view of satellites?
2. Any provision for permanent or semi-permanent mounting?
3. How does one change the call sign or SSID? Is this a similar process to the other products in this line, i.e. the MT300?
4. Can the power be dialed down when airborne?
5. Any external switch provided to change modes (call sign, power text message)?
6. Dimensions & Weight?
7. Will this run with NimH batteries (9.6V vice 12V)

Looks like a winner!

Last edited:
Read the Manual

OK, I read the manual and got most of these answers. You might still put the dims and weight on the web page, as well as a couple of answers to the other Q's.

Looks like this is in a waterproof pelican case type box, so to access the switches requires opening the lid. I am also confused about the analog vs. digital nature of changing the power setting. The manual says to turn a pot to change the transmit power, but I think you can also change the transmit power by changing to the alternate position on the selector switch?? I can see using a high power setting on the ground and during takeoff and approach, and using a low power setting in cruise or say above 1000 AGL. Just trying to figure out how difficult it will be to fly the plane, and open this unit up, fumble with the pot or switch, all the while trying to keep the antenna in view of the sky.

Sounds like programming the unit can be a delicate operation, since the GPS antenna must be removed and the connector is small and easily damaged?

Like the power saver mode, though for sure.

Questions about the MT-AIO

Noah,

All good questions. I will be adding a FAQ to the manual ( the product has only been out for a day or so, so I am not sure what questions will be frequent yet!) Good call on the dimensions. Will advise. The power output is not under software control, so the trimmer pot is the only way to control the output power ( well, actually lowering the supply voltage will result in lower power too)

The primary purpose for the MT-AIO was for portable operations, like SAR use, or as part of a bail-out kit. SAR people get wet a lot, and having the switch in a water-tight, tamper-proof container was an element of the design criteria. I can see how this would not be optimal for flying. It would not be hard to add a couple of external switches to switch DC and RF power if necessary. Personally, I believe that 8 watts airborne is not too much, and on the ground, its just enough.

This version of the MT-AIO requires that you unplug the GPS connector while programming the unit. The GPS stays on the board while you do this. Of course, our intention is that this unit is going to be factory programmed with your data. Many hams are afraid of computers-no one knows why....You can also plug the chip into another TinyTrack/Micro-Trak device for programming if you want to tweak your program parameters.

The GPS, once it initially synchs up with the sky, is remarkably liberal about reacquiring signals. It works fine sitting on the desk in my office in almost any position. The newer gen Siirf Star 3 chip GPS sets are amazing.

Best regards,

Allen
VHS

This is a great unit to use for ballooning / cloudhopping, plenty rugged and no cords to get tangled, and only one battery instead of a gps battery and a radio battery:D:D:D

Now if I can just figure out how to get the chase vehicle laptop working reliably to display the balloon position, they wouldn't lose me so often!

Chase vehicle display

Noah, I gave up on trying to run around with a laptop and switched to a Kenwood TH-D7 and an Avmap GPS display. Boot up times are in the seconds, and battery life is wonderful. I am hoping to replace my Kenwood with our new MT-TT4, which can also upload NMEA waypoints to a display GPS. The Kenwood is a trifle fragile.

Allen
VHS

Back