What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Zealand?

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Hello,

Looks like 6 of you RVers on the RV white pages? I think there are more RV owners/ builders in New Zeland.???
I met some nice people from NZ in my days in the British Virgin Islands. Lots of good sailors from NZ came through on their way around.
I hope I can see some RV flyers and builders while in your country. Please let me know if I can visit you and your RV/ project or any airplane/ project.
I built/fly a RV6 and a Super Cub kit plane and have a passion for any airplanes.
What is the best time to come there? Spring, or fall? I plan for 3 weeks and will visit, Bay Islands, and South Island.
Any advice?
I am a sailor and would like to sail if any one needs crew.
Thanks
Jay

Last edited:
Jay

First off, 3 weeks is no where near enough time to visit even part of the South Island, much less the whole country. After spending my summers working in Wanaka for several years I eventually moved there for a while. I still never left the South Island. There is just too much to do and see.

I lived in Wanaka, if you find yourself there go to the local airport. Not only is there a brewery across the street and that crazy maze place,http://www.puzzlingworld.co.nz/ but there is a group that has some obscure old warbirds. The first time I was there they where working on these two Russian fighter planes. I think those there the planes that made it to Oshkosh a few years back. You can rent planes at the FBO and there is a company that gives scenic rides in things from a Pitts to a BN Islander. The Wanaka airport holds a special place in my heart because that's where I started my flight instruction.

Hopefully you can find someone on the South Island to go flying with. You have to fly into Milford Sound. I did it in a C172, an RV would be great there. The NZ CAA publishes a book about flying into there. Grab a copy at an FBO if you get a chance. Great read when your back home dreaming of some challenging flying. Kind of like an Oshkosh NOTAM for the mountains.

I'm sure you'll get some great info from some poeple still living in NZ but if not and you have some questions, send me an email.

You wouldn't enjoy New Zealand Jay... it's much cooler than Texas with temps in the perfect range of 70 to 85 at this time of year. No crowds, good food, friendly people, favourable exchange rates for the US$ and more than just those 6 RV's you suggest might be flying down here. As "N916K" suggests, 3 weeks ain't enough to do the South Island let alone the North Island as well.

Suggest you hit the ground running around the last week of January and find your way to Tauranga for the SAA fly-in around the 4th, 5th and 6th of Feb 2006. This is the annual meet for Sport Aviation in NZ. Then make your way south (or north, then south) but if you can hang around until Easter you'll get to see Warbirds over Wanaka on 14th - 16th April 2006. Do the maze in Wanaka, that's great fun for the family (but don't call me if you get lost). Definately worth a look is the Arrowtown Autumn Festival which, funny enough, happens around Autumn. That's in April... not November!!!

For you flat-landers, just be aware there are a few hills around Wanaka and Queenstown but the place was made for RV's and you might find there are one or two lying around. New Zealand is a small place but don't under-estimate the travelling times... and don't plan on taking the drive over the Harbour Bridge to Sydney because the toll is just prohibitive!

Any questions?

If you want any other info let me know...

Regards,

Mike :)
RV-6 wannabe
Noo Zeelind

Just started building an RV-8A. Empt nearly done. Hoping wings will arrive late January.

Lots to do in NZ, as Mike says. For the adventurous type (guess which type I am) you'll find all your outdoor sports and activities here. NZ is an active nation. Some good stuff at Rotorua. Lake at Taupo is nice too. Prawn Farm in Taupo is worth a visit if you like big prawns, and Huka Falls (same place) is quite impressive too. There's also an RV-8 based at Taupo (http://www.airchartertaupo.co.nz/rv8.htm). Arthur's a good bloke and gave me a ride while I was in decision mode a few months back: I took the grin home and placed the order!!
As Mike mentioned, if you're around at the right time of year, be sure to check out SportAvex (http://www.saa.org.nz/sportavex/)

Cheers,

Hi Jeff
I am Building an RV4 in Waiuku (1 hr north or Hamilton, nearly Auckland) I am finishing the second wing, Waiting on some pats from Vans so I can seal the fuel tanks. I would love to come ad see your project if that is possible

Cheers

Mike

ZK VCC reserved

One more North Islander

Hi Jeff,

I fly a RV6 and I'm based in Wellington. 'Planenutz' makes a few good points. The South Island is fantastic and certainly worth a visit...in the summer that is. Winter time you'll freeze the family 'jewels' off. Just ask 'Planenutz'...he used to be called 'Manlynutz' ;)

Give us a call when you're in town

Leonard Smith

Too cold on the South Island???? I'm use to make a living there during the Kiwi winter. Not near as bad as the winter where I'm at right now. Northern Minnesota.

I lived in Wanaka for a while and it never got too cold, even for a Texan like me.

I sure miss NZ. The best people anywhwere in the wolrd, and I've been to quite a few places. And Wanaka, wow , what can I say, stop showing the adds on TV and those **** movies that make it look like a great pace to go. If I had just bought that house several years ago before the housing went up in Wanaka.

Time to move back to NZ. Anyone need a pizza dilivery person, or a vehicle dynamics engineer????

Back