What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Modest tips for a clean mfr. plant

rfinch

Well Known Member
My aircraft manufacturing plant is my attached garage. Don't want to track in fiberglass dust or aluminum particles. So here's a couple of modest tips to keep things clean.

1. Dust collector box. These can range from thousands of dollars for a professional one, to the hillbilly one I built with a 20", $15 box fan and some pegboard and aluminum angle:
20080622-2048-IMG_0263.jpg

20080622-2049-IMG_0265.jpg

The 20" A/C filter slides into the fan intake side, drawing air thru the pegboard holes and away from whatever grinding or cutting operation going on. It's mounted on an old Harbor Freight grinding wheel stand on wheels, so I can roll it over to where the dust-making is happening. I had to move the electrical plug and fan control switch from the back to the side.

2. Easy shop vac on/off. I have a wall-mounted shop vac (floor space a premium) and I like to vacuum often when cutting, drilling, or grinding. It was inconvenient to walk over to the vac, turn it on, walk back to the grinding area, do task, walk back, turn off vac....so I added a wireless remote control on/off switch. Several places sell these, I got this one at Ace Hardware and Aviation Supply. Plug the vac into the remote control box and turn the vac switch on, the vac is now controlled with the remote control clicker:
IMG_0293.jpg

Naw, a true "hillbilly" unit would be just duct tape and a filter and a fan.

Yours is way too hi-tech.:D

Might want to peel some of the price stickers off of those tools so they look like you've used them!:D

Back