What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum polish

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm curious what my plane would look like polished, especially in places where I have riveted that are a little scuffed. Can anyone recommend a good polish that would give me an idea of how much of those scuffs I'd be able to polish out, but that would not cause my painter (it could be me??) any grief when I have it painted?

Thanks.

Well, as a former owner of a polished RV... You can polish out most any scratch with enough work. You just take progressively finer grades of polish and work out the scratches with the buffer.

If you want to play with some, you are welcome to my stash as I don't find much use for it anymore.

I first tried Flitz, which will shine up the metal, but won't remove any scratches, then I moved on to multiple grades of Nuvite which can remove scratches with one grade and then buff out the finer scratches with another grade.

For all the details look at http://www.perfectpolish.com/

Thanks Andy. That website makes it look like a LOT of work, maybe more than my curiosity will tolerate! :eek: Did you end up painting yourself or did you have it painted?

Thanks again.

I like that Nuvite stuff. I've used a bunch of it in the past. If your going to machine polish a large area I would suggest getting a cheap throw away paint suit to wear. You'll be covered with black crud and fuzzies in no time.

:)

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Thanks Andy. That website makes it look like a LOT of work, maybe more than my curiosity will tolerate! :eek: Did you end up painting yourself or did you have it painted?

Thanks again.

Painted by Williams Aircraft Painting in Burns Oregon.

cheap polisher/sander on sale at Harbor Freight

Item number 92623. Reg. $49 on sale now at $29. the real deal made in (Chicago) China. I just bought one today and gave it a four hr. run thru. this is as far as I got. must be doing something wrong.

item926233iy.jpg

Back