What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

microburst ?

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I was doing IFR training today. Flew out of ORL (orlando exec) in a rented spam can with a CFII. After some holding practice north of orlando I called orlando approach and requested the ILS to runway 7 at ORL. Approach gave approved the request and provided vectors.

I was under the hood. The first thing I knew about adverse weather was when the CFII called approach and asked for an IFR clearance to get back to ORL because of weather between us and the airport. We recieved the clearance.

Approach told us to contact the tower. I did so and announced that I was on the ILS approach to runway 7.

Just then the CFII says "look up". I looked up from under the hood and saw what appeared to be Niagra Falls in front of us. Lightning was visable off to the right, but it appeared to be some distance away.

When we entered the weather the rain was so intense that I could not see the cowl. That did not seem to be a problem. I figured that the rain and zero visability would just make the approach more interesting and challanging. At that point the airplane rolled left into an uncommanded left bank which continued, despite full opposite control deflection, until about we were at about a 60 degree bank when the roll stopped and I regained control of the roll and got the wings level.

While struggling with the roll issue I did not realize that we were also experiencing a severe downdraft.

CFII took the controls. We went to full power, nose up to best angle of climb speed, and the VSI showed a 1000 fpm descent. The CFII and I looked at each other with that "were out of ideas" look. I remember thinking at that point that I wish I was in an RV that could climb 2000 fpm instead of a spam can.

Although I do not specifically remember that altitude at which this event began, I believe it to be 2000 feet. That is the last altitude assignment that I remember getting. I had just intercepted the localizer and was not yet to the point of glide slope intercept.

At about 1100 feet we flew out of the weather and the downdraft. Just as we broke out the tower contacted us and told us that we were half a mile south of the ILS. I approached the localizer course from the north.

We proceeded to an uneventful landing, with a stiff cross wind from the south.

During the time that I was practicing holds, 10 miles north of the airport and 30 minutes or so before the severe weather, I noticed that I was experiencing significant updrafts, which took me as much as 300 feet above the altitude I was trying to hold. Florida in the summer has lots of convective activity. Much of it is localized and not associated with any weather "pattern".

The CFII reported to the tower that we had been caught in a micro burst and suggested that other aircraft be warned about it.

My only other experience with a micro burst has been on the instrument exam and those illustrations they give you on the test.

I don't know if it was a "micro burst" or just a severe downdraft...but it was one heck of a ride.

I would like to tell you that I understand exactly what happened and give you good advice as to how to avoid it or to react if you encounter it. I cannot. I have about 550 hours, which makes me a novice compared to most of you here on VAF. I try to learn from every experience in order to be a safer pilot.

I am passing this information along to you for whatever value it may have to you. I do not know what I could have done to avoid this situation, or what I may have been able to do better to handle it.

The only lesson that I can take away from this is that when you are fighting for roll control, keep in mind that there may be other issues....such as descending at 1000 fpm notwithstanding that you are at full power and nose up. My instrument scan went to heck as I concentrated on keeping the aircraft right side up. I did not notice the downdraft. I do not know if we were actually in the downdraft at the time, because I did not look at the VSI while wrestling with the roll issue. That period of time was only a few seconds, but it would have been helpful if I had realized that I was descending like an anvil for those seconds.

If you find yourself in this situation, I hope that you are in an RV and not a spam can which will be lucky to acheive a 500 fpm climb. An aircraft that climbs at 500 fpm will not climb any faster, no matter how experienced the pilot is.

Perhaps some of you with more experience can help me, and others here, understand what happened, how to avoid it, and how to handle it. If so, please feel free to pass along your knowledge and experience.

The mispellings and grammer errors in this post are due to the 3rd rum and coke in front of me now as a result of this every interesting flight.

Tony

Last edited:
Just a thought...

I would like to tell you that I understand exactly what happened and give you good advice as to how to avoid it or to react if you encounter it. I cannot. I have about 550 hours, which makes me a novice compared to most of you here on VAF. I try to learn from every experience in order to be a safer pilot.
Tony

...Don't fly into something resembling "Niagra Falls"

Glad you're OK. I think I'd be looking for another instructor.

Just an opinion

Tony,

Just my opinion but I think that not looking at the VSI may have been a lifesaver.

The attitude indicator is your friend. Keeping the plane in a level position doesn't mean keeping the altitude constant. Not trying to keep up with the VSI can save your airplane (and you). As far as full power, I was taught to take it down to maneuvering speed when in that situation so you don't rip the wings off. Keep it flying in stable position and you'll be out of it soon.

Again, just an opinion.

Butt kicking

Before I got a new instructor there would be a butt kicking of the current one. Allowing you to fly into those condition is inexcusable. These are significant severe conditions. You are lucky to have lived through this.

Many years ago, while flying helicopters we saw a micro burst ahead of us. Same basic description as you gave except here in the desert it was very obvious with the down drafts creating an inverted mushroom cloud. The other crew member a 20,000 hour heli pilot demoed the severity of a micro burst. At 1500 ft AGL, we flew along the side of the of the main column. We experienced 1000 fpm down drafts and were not even in the thing. We turned away. He told me that the core can have down drafts exceeding 3000 fpm!!!!

If you were on approach you probably weren't very high and could have loss of control.

Glad to hear you are okay.

manuvering speed

Webb,

I understand what you are saying. In fact, my first reaction was to reduce power to manuvering speed. It was apparent that the airplane was out of control due to the weather effect.

The decision to reduce power, which would have been my decision, would have caused the desent rate to be greater. I think the CFII who took control at that point, was correct in his decision to increase power to overcome the down draft. I was oblivious to the downdraft at that point.

Avoid Heavy Rain Shafts

Tony,

I would agree with the others re getting another instructor, but it is possible that the instructor is low-time also and has not been in that situation. If that's the case, you both learned something. Flying professionally, we have radar onboard and can tell the intensity of the rain as well as get pireps from a/c ahead on the approach. If I am in visual conditions, I am always looking at the ground around the rain shafts to see if the rain only hits the ground or if it curls around, indicating a possible microburst situation. Having run thru microburst training scenarios in the sim, I have a healthy regard for remaining clear of them. In your light training aircraft, if you cannot see thru the rain shaft, I would recommend asking for clearance to deviate around the shaft.

Webb gave the correct response in not looking at the VSI. Use the attitude indicator and just try to keep the nose up at full power. If you have flaps out, don't change the configuration until you have a positive rate of climb and are climbing away from the ground, because you will lose altitude with flap or gear retraction.

Good luck with the training. It will be very rewarding for you once you've completed it!

Before I got a new instructor there would be a butt kicking of the current one. Allowing you to fly into those condition is inexcusable. These are significant severe conditions. You are lucky to have lived through this.

Ditto. There is a reason to divert around weather, IFR or no IFR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I thought the best thing to do was point the nose down and fly out of the micro burst as fast as you can. Isn't this what the sailplane pilots do?

One other thing, not even an RV will out climb a micro burst.

Last edited:
I thought the best thing to do was point the nose down and fly out of the micro burst as fast as you can. Isn't this what the sailplane pilots do?

If I understood his situation correctly he was at 2,000' dropping at 1,000 FPM with the nose up at full power. IF they had put the nose down, and tried to power out............ they would not have had time to recover from the decent. I would vote for putting the nose up and full power.

The best couse of action was to never get in this situation.

Last edited:
Microburst and...

Check this definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_burst

I've seen other definitions that had nothing to do with convection, but what they all have in common is vertical wind that hits the ground and goes horizontal.

When you say the the lightning was : "some distance away"
Seems pretty subjective.

The good news about those areas of strong down drafts is that they are not very wide. The bad news is that they can be wide enough to kill you depending on what you are doing at the time. You're better off not being close to the ground.

Unsolicited advice: Get a Garmin 396 or 496, pony up for XM weather, and use it. No point in guessing how far away the uglies are.

I monitor Nextrad, lightning, and echo tops.

A good book I just re-read:
Weather Flying (revised and enlarged | Third addition)
By Robert N. Buck

Written by an old timer that started instrument flying long before XM weather was even thought of. Lots of great information.
He goes into great detail about how to gradually up the ante on instrument flying to build proficiency. He, of course, recommends not flying through thunder storms, but also explains how to do it and live - from first hand experience doing weather flying research. Cool stuff.
He's also not fussy about what you fly, but writes a lot about realistically tailoring your limits to your hardware and skills.

He spends a lot of time exactly on your subject and repeats repeats over and over to NOT cut it close trying to beat serious weather to an airport. Just let it pass or go somewhere else. I found it extremely educational that a man who had deliberately flown through thunderstorms a living did not want to be even near one on approach & landing.

I agree with the others comments about your instructor. Seems like you might consider getting a new one, or at least making sure you have enough information to make up for his shortcomings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

One other thing, not even an RV will out climb a micro burst.

I am also a glider pliot and have experience in flying through "sink". In general it is best to put the nose down and increase speed to fly faster through the area of sink. That works well if you have the altitude for it and if the air is relatively smooth. Putting the nose down and building speed would have put me over manuvering speed in extremely rough conditions. The only choice that I could see was to climb at full power and hope that the sink ended before the altitude was exhausted.

The experience of this event has been valuable. Reminds me of when I was a kid and tried to catch a bumble bee in my bare hand. I won't be doing that again.

I was wondering about XM weather. I seem to remember reading that there is a time lag. Does XM weather show only larger areas of weather, and not small rain cells that could have very short but intense lives? I had considered getting XM weather for X country trips. Now I am considering it for local flying as well.

The instructor should have been looking

I also should have added......

A microburst usually appears under the anvil side of a cloud. I don't fly under the anvils for this reason when I'm cloud running which is my absoute favorite way of flying.

Your instructor should not have taken you there if it was visable. Since you are under the hood, he is also your safety pilot and he should keep his head outside the cockpit and be watching for potential problems.

Also, when in actual IFR conditions, you need to get the hood off and know what it looks like around you. I know several pilots that when they have to fly instruments, don't function well with their hoods off and so they put them on when they are in IMC.

With lightening off in the distance, convective activity in the area, a down draft (or microburst) that you were caught in, its obvious that you were in an area of maturing thunderstorms. Not a good place to be, even for the most experienced of pilots.

Sounds like you and your instructor need to have a heart to heart so your next flight won't be your last.

Keep up the training. It will make you a better pilot and a safer one too. Lesson learned here may truly save your life later on. You will also find it helpful and use it at times such as when flying dead into the sun. You end up hanging a chart from the sun visor and fly instruments because you can see because of the glare.

I too experienced something similiar so I understand where you are coming from....I went up instead of down. Shortly after getting my IFR ticket, I was flying cross country through the soup which was quite stable at the time. All of the sudden, the rain started and I gained 700 feet in about 2 seconds. Pulled the power back to maneuvering speed power and called ATC for suggested vector out of area I was in. Told to turn to XXX heading and was out of it in about 10 seconds (seemed like 10 minutes). As someone suggested, a 396 or 496 is nice to have if you are going to fly in IMC. I now own one and use it. ATC is helpful if they are painting weather but on board is even better.

Again, keep up the training.

Last edited:
I was wondering about XM weather. I seem to remember reading that there is a time lag.

Just remember each rotation of a radar takes 5 minutes. It then has to be uploade to the nexrad site and collated with all the other inputs befor transmission to the satellite and finally to you. In all it is possible for your "fresh" nexrad display to be 12 minutes old.

If your particular microburst did show on nexrad it is unlikely to have correlated with what you saw out the window.

Never ever use nexrad to penetrate weather.

Nexrad to avoid

Never ever use nexrad to penetrate weather.

Agree 100%. Nextrad should only be used to avoid weather. The significance of the refresh rate depends on how fast the storm is moving, intensity, etc.

I believe Nexrad & lightening would have told them to stay clear of this airport for a while.

Anvil side

A microburst usually appears under the anvil side of a cloud.

Yup! And, given the right conditions, the anvil side is where you will find the hail. Just don't go there.

John Clark ATP, CFI
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Sounds like a classic micro-burst.
I have some personal experience with windshear and microburst stuff as I was the lead design engineer on the detection systems installed at most of the major airports in the 1990's (they've had an upgrade or two since then). Turns out that Denver and Orlando have the highest incidence of microburst activity in the nation, which is why we did all of our testing at those two. Denver is more dry virga type, Orlando is typical Florida thunderstorm stuff, which you found.
The system I worked on was sensor based and the Orlando installation should detect out to three miles from the airport. How far out were you? They also have (had?) terminal doppler weather radar that should have picked it up further out.

There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime. - Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, 1970.

Under the circumstances you were in I would not have tried to climb at Vx, but instead at a speed somewhere between Vy and Va. - maybe even faster depending on the starting altitude AGL. Time is your real enemy in this sort of scenario. Best rate of climb speed or greater would have cleared you from the trouble area quicker and achieved the same results with more useful potential energy once you were clear of the downdraft (which is very important to have if you find yourself very close to the ground when you break out of a situation like this). Sticking to a higher speed than Vx (or even Vy) also gives you more control authority when you may really need it. It's counter-intuitive, but probably the better coarse of action in this situation. Pushing when you're already going down like a screaming demon is a very difficult thing to do. Your indicated airspeed with full power applied is the important deciding factor.

Glad I wasn't there to have to make that decision, though.

Last edited:
In a couple of posts there are words to the effect of "reduce power to maneuvering speed", which confuses me. I suspect it is just a communications fault. I was taught that pitch = speed and power = altitude. So in this situation, full power is exactly appropriate. Personally, I like the idea of pitching for a speed faster than best climb to get you out of the burst but if it was clear that the aircraft would impact anyway, I think best rate of climb would be the best option to reduce both your forward and vertical momentum.

Just my $.02; the worst I was ever in was a small shear/sink pocket over Mt. Diablo in California. It dropped me 500 feet before I had time to react and was over. There wasn't even the usual ridge turbulence as a warning; I was just flying along happy as a bird and then WHAM! and I was sweaty-fingered all the way back to OAK, waiting for the next one. So, anyway, I've never had a chance to put theory into practice. But I will add that my post-turbulence tranquilizer of choice is Jack Daniels.;)

In a couple of posts there are words to the effect of "reduce power to maneuvering speed", which confuses me. I suspect it is just a communications fault. I was taught that pitch = speed and power = altitude. So in this situation, full power is exactly appropriate.

You are ABSOLUTELY right, PITCH FOR Vy climb, (lower than manuvering speed) and HOLD that, NO MATTER WHAT. Not knowing how big the microburst is makes speeding up a poor option. Kill as much of the decent rate as you can, keep the airplane a GOOD flying speed (Vy NOT Vx). The microburst disapates before it hits the ground, with any luck, your momentum won't carry you the rest of the way into the ground if you keep the airplane at a flying speed.

And if your instructor gives you an I'm out of IDEA's look, you need to slap him around and tell him to "fly the airplane as far into the crash as possible and stop looking at me like a blistering idiot."

Not "tearing the wings off"

I may have use the words manuveuring speed but the only way is to ensure that we're flying at an airspeed that's slow enough that the lift produced by the wing, when suddenly put at max angle of attack, is small enough that the resulting vertical acceleration is no greater than our load limit.

We have to ensure that the wings can't generate an "F" great enough that our "a = F/m" is more than, say, 3.8g for our current mass 'm'.

To limit max lift force "F", the max lift force will be a function of airspeed. If you slow the wing down, the max force is generated is lower. There is less chance of generating a force great enough to create an acceleration that exceeds our load limit by limiting our airspeed.

Bottom line - fly the plane and keep it stable when you get into this kind of weather.

The more I read from others, the more I learn how to stay safe from this website. Thanks to everyone that throws those knowledge tidbits in!!!

Your experience would make for good review of what happened with your instructor. You might even save his life oneday too.

I was several miles west of orl

.The system I worked on was sensor based and the Orlando installation should detect out to three miles from the airport. How far out were you? They also have (had?) terminal doppler weather radar that should have picked it up further out.

Mike,

I was several miles out preparing to intercept the localizer for runway 7 at (ORL) executive airport. The detection gear you mentioned is probably at MCO which is several miles south of ORL.

By the way, my first post should have read that we climbed at best rate of climb, it was the rum that made me say best angle.

Steve,
Thanks for the reminder about the book "weather flying". I have had it on my bookshelf for over 20 years. I need to dust it off and re-read it.

Always more power in a sink, airspeed........

If you're going down when you want to go up or stay level, its obviously going to be full power

If it's just a downdraft, then VY is the right number (if its a big one), but if there is a chance of severe or worse turbulence, then what I have read (in diverse places) is that something a bit less than VA is the right number.

The argument is that VA is too close to the edge and that some gust situations could induce structural damage. Also that flying much slower could result in loss of control due to to stall and/or lack of control authority.

In this case, though the airspeed wasn't stated, lack of aileron authority suggests that a bit faster would have been better.

Vx seems like the wrong number. The gust that caused a 60 degree bank against full aileron may well have turned the airplane upside down after slowing to Vx. That's a good way to get kilt.

Lucky for me, VA is about 100kts in my airplane and it climbs almost as fast at 90-95kts as it does at 80.

Back