What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MD-RA inspections

tylerhan

I'm New Here
I am new to the building scene. Just have a few questions in regards to the inspection process and MD-RA. I am planning on building a RV9 and going to start with the empennage first. Can I build and cover the entire thing without it being inspected? Or do they want to see it before it is all riveted up? As well do I have to registed with MD-RA before I can begin or can I register before I have to have an inspection? I have been on the MD-RA website but it is not very informative at all.

Tyler

I am new to the building scene. Just have a few questions in regards to the inspection process and MD-RA. I am planning on building a RV9 and going to start with the empennage first. Can I build and cover the entire thing without it being inspected? Or do they want to see it before it is all riveted up? As well do I have to registed with MD-RA before I can begin or can I register before I have to have an inspection? I have been on the MD-RA website but it is not very informative at all.

Tyler

Hi Tyler, welcome. You didn't say what part of Canada you are from, but here's some recommendations based on my own experience building my 9A:

1) Join a local RAA or EAA chapter that supports homebuilding. The people there are always willing to offer advice or assistance.

2) Go ahead and register with the MD-RA. I agree that the website is poorly maintained, but do the best you can. Once you have a local inspector assigned, things will go smoothly.

3) It's ok to start construction of your tail kit while waiting for the bureaucracy to ramp up. Just don't close everything out. In my case, I closed the trim tab (no internal structure), left the trailing edge and some skin rivets of the rudder and elevators un-riveted and did not rivet the HS spar in place.

When I was ready to button up the wings, I called for the first inspection and then closed up the tail and wings. My fuse was a QB, and it can be inspected any time before floor boards are riveted in place.

In general, make sure your inspector can see all of the shop heads on your rivets and any bolts. They have flashlights and mirrors, so things don't have to be totally open. If you are unsure, you can always leave a rib out or similar until after inspection. If there are problems with the inspection, you may also need access to buck a rivet or two.

Once your inspector has faith in your work, things get easier. You can call for interim inspections if you want, but the two-inpsection (pre-close and final) worked for me.

Vern

Thanks for the info Vern. I forgot to mention that I am in Red Deer, AB. I wonder if there is an inspector in Central Alberta. If an inspector has to come out of Edmonton or Calgary I want to keep the inspections to a minimum if I have to pay the mileage!

Hey Tyler

Vern is right.
What i did was build the emp, not attach any spars or close anything. Lots of clecoes. I went qb wings and fues and back several months ago i had ONE inspection that coverd all the parts, they give you a bunch of stickert to put inside the different pieces prior to close and you build away.
One more inspection for first flight and thats it.
It is frustrating to not 100% finish a part, but as you learn and your skills improve its not a bad thing. You will look back and smile at some of your goof ups and maybe do a little correcting before she is all closed up.

Good luck. CALL MDRA for stuff, great people, but HORRIBLE at web and emails.

Tyler,

Welcome to the VAF forum.

FYI, most of the RV-9's built are A's, so when you get to those parts that are unique to the tail dragger version, search the -7 section.

Also, when posting a question about your tail wheel version, make sure the person answering has a tail dragger.

More than once I would ask a question unique the -9 and get a reply from a well meaning -9A builder that was simply wrong. I'm not picking on the -9A builders at all, but some things are just different with our planes and there aren't many -9's out there so the misunderstanding is to be expected.

RAA

1) Join a local RAA or EAA chapter that supports homebuilding. The people there are always willing to offer advice or assistance.

Vern

Best piece of advice for sure!!! I imported an airplane from the U.S. and the RAA guys at CNC3 have been fantastic. Also Jack Dueck in Alberta is a very valuable "local" asset for you.

Back