What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge rolling on the forward top skin?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I think I've finally got everything behind the instruments finished up, so I'm going to rivet on the forward top skin. :D

However - I'm wondering, will the edges over the longeron lay flat once all this riveting is done? The skin is pretty thick but I fear having to use that damn edge rolling tool. Have you achieved good results with just the tension on the skin holding that edge flat?

I have used the scotchbright wheel to make the edge a little more tapered (a la the wing skin overlap).

Thank you for any advice.

Kevin
RV-7A

Edge roll top front skin

I used the edge roller on both the planes I've built in that particular area. You might get lucky and get it to lay down without rolling it, but by the time you know if you're gonna have trouble, it's to late to easily take care of the problem.
Good Luck!
Bill Waters

kevinh said:
Hi ya'll,

I think I've finally got everything behind the instruments finished up, so I'm going to rivet on the forward top skin. :D

However - I'm wondering, will the edges over the longeron lay flat once all this riveting is done?
Kevin
RV-7A

Kevin,

I taped the edges to 3-4" diameter cardboard shipping tubes and rolled a radius on each lengthwise edge of the skin. I kept forming them until they lay, unstressed, on the 'fuse.

It takes some pretty aggressive rolling.

Ben Beaird
-6A
38hrs

Rolling skin

Is there any reason why NOT to have the entire top forward skin rolled by a machine shop? I have access to huge rollers that will take some of the 'fight' out of the top skin.
Pierre

pierre smith said:
Is there any reason why NOT to have the entire top forward skin rolled by a machine shop? I have access to huge rollers that will take some of the 'fight' out of the top skin.
Pierre

Pierre,

I was afraid of using a roller because the curvature is somewhat conical. I wanted to be selective about how I bent the sheet. The rolling axis is not parallel to the center line of the fuse.

If I had a roller "on site" I might be tempted to try it. As it was, I used cardboard tubes, my knee and gloved hands.

Ben

Back