What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will it fit?

rrnixonjr

I was at a local Army-Navy store and came across this engine in a crate. Bought it for $500.00 thinking it might be a nice upgrade for my RV4. Wondered if anyone could help me design a mount for it that would not drastically upset my weight and balance. Ross, would your EFI work for this? Could you help me setting it up? I am worried about plug fouling as it might take several days to replace them all and EFI might help. Should I use a six or eight bladed prop and do you think constant speed might be too heavy as the engine is already a bit heavier than my 0-320. Fuel consumption might be an issue. Anyone design a belly tank for an RV4?

Any guesses what this is?
Image:Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-4360_Wasp_Major_1.jpg

I'm thinking you might empty your tanks just taxiing out!

Oh, and don't listen to those who might tell you not to hang a P&W 4360 on your RV!

BTW, $500 that engine is a great deal!

Cutaway

A great project: Turn it into a cutaway display with a small electric motor to turn it over slowly! Then watch all the monkey motion.:cool:

Your weight and balance will be fine if you mount the engine's 50 gallon oil tank behind you in the baggage compartment.

Mount veritical

Mount vertical, keep original engine and have a rotocraft that can land vertical but fly at +200

Lotsa Parts!

There has got to be more parts in that monster than in your airplane - including the rivets!:eek:
Maintaining that should be interesting.:D

Keep it practical...

Who wants to spend three hours figuring out which cylinder is misfiring and then another three to actually locate the offending cylinder?

You could go green by lining each cylinder with copper coils and replacing the pistons with iron cores to develop a reciprocating electric motor!

A little modification needed....

You'll have to relocate your wing forward about 5 feet and cut the prop tips back a bit. Add 50 gallon wingtip tanks and you're good to go.:D

Any guesses what this is?
Image:Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-4360_Wasp_Major_1.jpg

It's a Pratt and Whitney WASP 4360. See description from Wikipedia below.

Pratt & Whitney R-4360
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major (sectioned)
Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp MajorThe Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major was a large radial piston aircraft engine designed and built during World War II. It was the last of the Pratt & Whitney Wasp family and the culmination of its maker's piston engine technology, but the war was over before it could power airplanes into combat. It did, however, power the last generation of large piston-engined planes before the jet engine and turboprop took over.

It was a 28 cylinder four-row radial engine with each row slightly offset from the previous, forming a semi-helical arrangement (as can be seen in the photograph), to facilitate cooling of the successive rows of cylinders. A mechanical supercharger geared at 6.374:1 ratio to engine speed provided forced induction, while the propeller was geared at 0.375:1 so that the tips did not reach inefficient supersonic speeds.

Although reliable in flight, the Wasp Major was maintenance intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs, which would require hours to clean or replace. As with most piston aircraft engines of the era, the time between overhauls of the Wasp Major was about 600 hours when used in commercial service.

Engine displacement was 4,362.50 in? (71.5 L), hence the model designation. Initial models developed 3,000 hp (2240 kW), but the final models delivered 4,300 hp (3200 kW) using two large turbochargers in addition to the supercharger. Engines weighed 3,482 to 3,870 lb (1,579 to 1,755 kg), heavy but giving a power to weight ratio of 1.11 hp/lb (1.83 kW/kg), matched by very few engines.

This may be the same "corncob" engine used on the old B-36? One of my old Air Force buddies told me that it usually took two days just to change the spark plugs on one engine. That include the time to set up the maintenance stands and crane, pull the cowl, R & R the plugs, re-install the cowl, and move all the stands away from the plane. I believe that the engines on a B-36 stood about 30 feet off the ramp? The photo doesn't give a true representation of the actual size of this engine. Four banks of 9 cylinders is a lot of engine.

4 rows of 7, 28 cylinders total. 28 cylinders =56 spark plugs, 7 mags I believe (4 cylinders per...) and 3600 HP? :D

Spark plugs

if the spark plugs are usable, the massive ones are 16 and the fine wire are 36.

If you pulled the plugs and sold the engine for scrap, you're already ahead on just the plugs.

Are they fine wire??

Ongoing modifications to my Wasp 4360 RV4.

I kinda liked Webb's idea. Instead of relocating my wing I will redo my structure to something like this. Wonder if Van will approve of it.

unreal-convair-pogo.jpg

Just use the front cylinders.

Then use the others to hold oil, fuel, luggage, tools, spare parts, life raft, survival kit, lunch, passengers......

Back