What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No "Hobbs" meters in the EFIS's

mark manda

Well Known Member
I know BMA can't figure out how to integrate a Hobbs, not a high priority.

From what I can tell, the Dynon D10A only has a timer. GRT or new Dynon? they probably have one. Hobbs meter would be a nice feature don't you think?

(I don't have another cent to spend on my panel, other than glareshield piping and maybe ahhh... a few missing screws and knobs) :)

486132419105bigday0596ye.jpg

install the hobbs

You want a reliable, trusted source of hours for your plane. Just put in a hobbs wired to an oil pressure switch so a red light goes on when the pressure is low, and the hours start when the pressure is good.

You don't want your efis keeping track of your hours. If it breaks and you have to send it back, there go your hours.

-clay

Why do you want a hobbs? Why do you need to log true hours? Maintenance is done on tach time anyways. It isn't like you will be renting it.

:confused: CJ

Mark, you say thet BMA can't figure out how to integrate a Hobbs into their system? Are you kidding? You think Richter can design that system and can't figure out a Hobbs solution? Come on now, think about what you wrote. And look at the requests for features that customers have submitted over the years and how responsive he is about satisfying the ones that make sense. You are right when you say "priorities". The most important things come first and a $20 hour meter(Van's catalog) is not at the top of the list.

Thanks for the replies. I've guessed at times for the last six hundred hours for the log book and then verify with Tach on down the road for oil changes. seems like I'm off an hour for each 30 hrs or so.

I'm out of room on the panel (to put in a edit) anyway. Maybe on the floor or between the seats or in the engine compartment.

Maybe BMA has a set-up for Tach time.

gotta, better run it. :)

Last edited:
Hobbs meter concerns

Mark,
The Hobbs was a concern until another pilot put it into perspective(a little late because I have a traditional Hobbs on the panel and a GRT EIS electronic hobbs). This guy told me that if the electronic hobbs goes belly up, no big deal because oil changes are logged with the hours included. So, not many hours would be "lost".
Mark Andrews
N598X down for paint

If you really want a Hobbs but don't have panel space, just mount it out of sight where you can see it when you need to. Maybe on the motor mount so you can see it when you check the oil.

Just as an FYI, we have hobbs and tach time in our Engine Monitor. We felt this was more of an engine measurment than an EFIS measurment. Obviously you can only do tach in an EMS, and to do a "real" hobbs that uses oil pressure, you also need an EMS.

Also, our system does allow you to input a start tach and hobbs time, so if your unit ever does fail, or if you install it in a currently flying airframe, you can re-enter your old numbers.

--Dynon Tech Support

thanks dynon, you guys are (awesome?) alright! i'll let my dad know, he's building a HR- II and may go with your set up.

I broke down and ordered a Hobbs and figured I'd hook it to my radio master since I didn't want to put a oil press sensor in anywhere.

I broke down and bought a sensor, it fit nicely so I'm trying to figure where to put the readout. Anywhere but my beautiful panel. :)

mark manda said:
2 points if you know what panel that is.

I cheated and looked at the previous picture. Not a bad spot. It's the right cover for the center spar section. (select text to see the answer)

Eveny plane needs a hobbs meter

Captain_John said:
Why do you want a hobbs? Why do you need to log true hours? Maintenance is done on tach time anyways. It isn't like you will be renting it.

:confused: CJ

Because a Hobbs meter belongs in a plane, damn it! :D

I've got several things on my panel that record time, but there is no way I wasn't going to put a hobbs meter on my panel. I like to see the hours tick by on the plane that I built (it still blows me away that I'm flying a plane I built). Yes, you can argue it away, but to me it's just one of those "airplane" things that belongs on a panel. It goes right along with the steam airspeed indicator and altimeter.

That being said, when I got my tailwheel endorsement I was flying a 1946 Cub and the guy used his watch for time. I loved the lack of all but the most important gauges. A hobbs meter wasn't going to help you fly so it wasn't there.

cam

Back