What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Simple DIY Rotisserie

cnpeters

Well Known Member
Made this rotisserie to save my back. Stands are from old wing stands I made - used a vertical steel squared post from Home Depot/ etc bolted to plywood gussets and 2 X 4 legs. I guessed center of mass and came out right on - I can rotate this thing with my pinkie, and it doesn't swing back in any position.
p1030837ta1.jpg

p1030848hz6.jpg

Below is a detail of the front - a wood plug fits the firewall recess and is sandwiched, a flange and pipe fit to this, the pipe rotates in the copper pipe pieces, which in turn are hose clamped to a wood saddle that sits on an L-angle attached to the vertical post. The other end of the pipe is attached to another flange that bolts to the oak handle. This handle rotates along the circular plate that is bolted to the post. I have a hole in the handle that matches holes in the plate every 22.5 degrees so a bolt can lock everything, or I can clamp the handle and plate in any position.
p1030839fn3.jpg

Here is another view with the fuse tilted:
p1030838wc4.jpg

Close-up of the pipe and flange. Flanges were bolted to handle and other end to the workbench to tighten as much as possible. High strength Locktite was also applied to threads, and to give a visual gauge of any slippage I applied torque-seal:
p1030846ci1.jpg

The rear pipe detail below - I offset vertically the attachment to match the center of roll, and set it so the longerons are level. I attached a 2X4 section to the bulkhead with 1/4" bolts (did drill one hole and enlarged the upper tooling hole after double checking the plans for the rudder spar attachment), then attached the plywood piece with 6 screws.
p1030843zh0.jpg

Last pic is of the legs - all on casters - one that locks. I will put two of the wheels in caster cups as I did for the wings - this was enough to prevent inadvertent rolling. I will attach a 2x4 between the two stands soon.
p1030847sk4.jpg

Anyway, nothing fancy, but it works great and represents another way of making a rotisserie in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Back