What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Support Structure

jhausch

I debated putting this question here or in the RV-7/7A Forum (or elsewhere?).

I would like to get a better idea of the tailwheel structure area on any RV. I am especially interested in seeing the support structure bits hidden in the after-part of the fuselage.

I assume the tailwheel assembly hangs out on the end of a round piece of spring steel. I can see that somewhat clearly in other assembly pics. What does the other end look like.

Also, are there any modifications to the fuse in a 7 vs a 7A?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help satisfy this enquiring mind.

Last edited:
See Dan Checkoway's Site...

Tailwheel support structure is show at http://www.rvproject.com/20021003.html

I'm building an 8 but the structural is virtually identical...main difference in the tail structure between the 7/7A and the 8/8A (besides the wheel) is that the A models get a tiedown assembly.

Mike

Is the 4 built the same way? I am trying to upgrade a cheap tail wheel to a Bell Fork, but my mount on the spring is different. I am trying to figure out if I have to replace the socket and/or the tail spring.

I have changed a few of the old style Van's non-swiveling tailwheel to a full-swivel units now. You'll need access to a lathe. A mill would be nice too. In a nutshell, you remove your old tw and spring assembly, take it to a machine shop, cut off the bent part of the spring, turn the end of it down to 0.635" and put on the new tailwheel that you can buy from me (what a coincidence!), or others. I don't know if Doug Bell has the complete units (probably does) but if he does, he makes a fine unit also.

Obviously, there's a few details left out of the procedure above, but it's not terribly difficult and it makes a great upgrade to your RV.

Back