What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

June 21st - Multi-Chapter fly-in @ LKR

N941WR

Legacy Member
On June 21st there will be a breakfast and lunch fly-in at Lancaster, SC (LKR) airport hosted by the EAA chapters from Salisbury, NC, Rock Hill, SC, Columbia, SC, Hickory, NC, and Charlotte, NC.

For those of you who wish to fly in on Friday night and campout, you are more than welcome to do so. However, showers will not be available.

There will be no awards, vendors, fees (other than meals), or controllers to deal with. However, there will be plenty of airplanes to see and fellow wing nuts to talk with.

Please pass this along to anyone who might be interested, including your EAA chapter.

Regards,
Bill

Despite the weather, a good time was had by all

Well, all those that made it.

The weather was crummy and yet, a good number of people made it.

When I say the weather was crummy, it really was and my phone was ringing off the hook in the morning from people who were wondering what they should do. What they should have done is gotten in their planes and flown over.

Here is a partial list of the planes that did make it that weren't based at LKR:
Europa
Helio Currier
Sonex
RV-4
RV-7
RV-7A
RV-8
RV-9
Two gyroplanes
Velocity
Cozy
Cessna 170A
Aeronca Champ
Aeronca Chief
J-3 Cub
Grumman Tiger
Giles 202
Piper Aero
Katana
Super Swift
Temco TE-1 or T-35 Buckaroo
Straight tail C-172

Hope to see everyone next year.

Last edited:
...and some of us drove in

And some of us drove in. Good to meet Bill R. and others. Had to drive through some rain to get there, but being as that we are a couple of years from flying ours, we had planned to drive anyway.:cool:
Here are a few pics I took the short while we were there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RVRCMOONPIE/Klkr200802

Robert,

It was good to meet you and your lovely lady!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

A couple of things I have to point out. That Yellow Sonex was scratch built in a year and a half. The only parts Hal bought were the weldments. Oh, and he built his AreoVee engine too.

The Buckaroo was also a "kit". When Robert bought it, it was completely disassembled, including a number of skins that were drilled off and trashed. I think he told me that it has only a few original skins left on it. Thus the 15 year rebuild time.

The Arrow that came in after you left was the same type of project. It was damaged in a landing accident and was completely trashed and stripped of any valuable part when owner bought it. He built up the right wing, bought and hung an engine, rebuilt the landing gear, replaced the interior, etc. He now has one of the nicest Arrows I think I have ever seen. I joke that it was a kit Piper. One other thing, he was almost finished with a -6A when he bought the Arrow back in the 90's and sold the unfished kit to finance the Piper. Growing family and all forced the switch.

Back