What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-779 Tailcone

flybill7

Well Known Member
Because the F-779 tailcone is fairly thick, bending it to match the F-711 and F-712 bulkheads is a real bear! I've tried clamping it to the workbench with a dowel and clamps, then pulling on it by hand, but I'm not even close.

Anybody have a good technique for this?

Bill: I had my best luck "rolling" the skin using a 1 1/2 piece of PVC pipe in the same fashion as the rudder and elevators.

Even at that, still ended up using my hand seamers to get the final tweek up around the rivet line.

Fitting this piece was not fun at all. Never did get a good fit with the frames, J channels or the side skins. Had to settle for "good enough".

Steven L. Hild
La Vernia TX
RV-7 Fuselage center section

I did something similar. I used a hand seamer and sort of 'rolled' the skin a little bit. Out of the box there was no way this thing was going to fit...but after I tweaked it a bit it was 'close enough'.

Before:
2005-05-14.734.jpeg
2005-05-14.735.jpeg

After:
2005-05-14.740.jpeg
2005-07-02.824.jpeg

I actually did tweak it a little more after this picture. There's a very slight seam on the right hand side that I pulled back out. This thing comes together pretty well. Just wait until you cleco on the aft top skin. I just did that last night and it's a very similar situation, except the skin isn't rolled for you at all.

I would think rolling it a bit with some sort of pipe or broomstick would work well too. Don't worry about it too much...I think everyone has a problem with this part.

I did a little bit of re-forming, but nearly as nice a job as Jamie did. After riveting, it still looks great. My trusty rivet gunner (my wife) leaned into a bit to close up the gap while setting the rivet.

This Part is Ugly - the F-779

Okay... after 4-5 hours working this F-779 tail cone skin I'm PO'ed! The line of rivets that the side skins and on thru to the J-Stringers will not line up. I've even put a ratchet strap on the F-779 skin to the rear bulkheads. It does pick it up some but still a half a hole size off. This piece can't be drill right from Vans. The F710, F711 and F712 all match up to the side skins and bottom skin. I've rolled it, tweaked it etc... It seams to fit nice but the holes are not close? Help...?

Found the Code

Well... it's done, the F-779 is drilled and in place.

Key concept... Ignore the instructions!!!

Back