What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

alternative converts?

grover

Well Known Member
I'm curious if anyone has reconsidered the Lycoming powerplant recently as a result of fuel prices. My most recent purchase (about 2 weeks ago) of 100LL was $3.49/gallon. The deltahawk or similar diesel or kerosine or jet fuel burning powerplant is looking increasingly attractive as avgas continues to become increasingly expensive.

james kleen
rv8 wings
savannah

Have you priced other fuels

The price difference was never enough for me to go to auto gas. For all the hassle and potential problems, which can and has caused loss of power for some, it is not worth it. The max difference was about a $1.00, now I think the difference is not even that great.

As far as Jet A or other fuel - is there a big difference? NO, it cost about the same, may be 15 cents cheaper, whipee. (ref. Airnav fuel summary 8/30/2005). Jet A will go up with Avgas. G

Last edited:
Wilksch WAM-120

In England we have the same problem, only worse! 100LL is around $6.50/gallon and Avtur is more like $2.50. I have a Wilksch WAM-120 diesel engine (and FWF kit) on order for delivery at the beginning of December.

They are now shipping production engines, and have two demo aircraft flying, but I don't think any customers are flying yet. I've seen four engines installed in customer aircraft (and three of them ground run) so there should be a whole lot more flying soon.

www.wilksch.com

Dave

I looked at the deltahawk website earlier today. I just don't think their numbers are representive of real operating numbers. The only real savings I saw were the overhaul numbers and about half of the fuel cost. Their ESTIMATED overhaul is 5000, and I know my Lyc will be around 10k. first off, no one is pay 32K for a new Lyc, even a IO-390. Overhaul cost is around 10K for an average overhaul, not 18K. 10gph is not running LOP at all on the Lyc. Spark plugs might need replacement after about 700 HR's not 200... I'd say your actualy savings is <10K in the first 2000 HR's. I'd rather have the tried and true lyc, than be the beta tester of new technology. To say nothing over complexity of installation. You'd have to be planing on the diesal from day 1 to get the fuel system installation correct.

Last edited:
Keep us posted!

Dave_Boxall said:
In England we have the same problem, only worse! 100LL is around $6.50/gallon and Avtur is more like $2.50. I have a Wilksch WAM-120 diesel engine (and FWF kit) on order for delivery at the beginning of December.

They are now shipping production engines, and have two demo aircraft flying, but I don't think any customers are flying yet. I've seen four engines installed in customer aircraft (and three of them ground run) so there should be a whole lot more flying soon.

www.wilksch.com

Dave

Dave,

Good luck with your WAM-120 and please keep us updated as you move along with the installation and flight testing. Do you have a web site so we can check up on your progress from time to time?

Fuel prices are the reason I chose the -9 and its smaller engine options. I was actually looking for an O-235 when I found the O-290-D2.

Dave_Boxall said:
In England we have the same problem, only worse! 100LL is around $6.50/gallon and Avtur is more like $2.50.

Dave,

i've heard of this Avtur, but what is it exactly?

jet A is almost as expensive as avgas at my airport. avgas is now $4.09/gal. and jet A is about $3.92!! KBMI, Bloomington, IL i work at the fbo, and my discount hardly makes it worth it!!

Avtur.

Avgas = 100 LL, Avtur = Jet A1

Dave,

i've heard of this Avtur, but what is it exactly?

I don't have a website for our RV-9A build, but as soon as we get the Wilksch hung I'll post a picture!

Dave

First customer Wilksch Diesel flies

The first WAM-100 customer engine flew today in Pietenpol Aircamper G-BUXK. Three test flights were completed following initial ground runs and system checks.

The WAM-100 is similar to the 120 hp WAM-120, but has a smaller intercooler and radiator to match its reduced power output (100 hp).

Dave

Anybody know if wilksch has plans to make a 180-200hp version?

the way things are going, I'm preparing myself for long nights
of making biodiesel in the garage out of used french-fry oil. I'd
rather do that than experiment with ethanol and a still. Less
paperwork too.

Bigger Wilksch Diesels

The Wilksch is designed as a scalable engine. The next one to be produced is the four-cylinder 160 Hp (WAM-160) probably next year. They have a five cylinder 200 Hp pencilled in as a future family member.

Dave

Back