What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero

Brent Colvin

Well Known Member
I am thinking about buying a complete Leather interior from Classic Aero. My concern is how much room do you loose with the side wall kit in a RV-7? My wife and I are both 190-200. I like the finished look of Leather side with arm rest, but worried we might not have enough room. Any body out there been there and done that. Thanks

You guys also might consider the weight...

of the Classic Leather. I've heard of a Classic leather interior for a -7A that weighed in at 55 lbs.

Last edited:
I lost

about 3" - 4" total for both sides where the spar cap is. My leg is fully pushed against the sidewall now and I can't get full aileron deflection to the left when solo because the stick hits my leg, and if I have someone else my size with me I can't get full deflection to the right because the stick hits the passenger's leg! That is the only disappointment though, it really finishes out the airplane.

image00057sd9.jpg

Last edited:
I have the full interior in my -7. I'm 6'5" 230 lbs. You do lose some room. I didn't measure it, but it was noticeable. Four inches seems high to me, but if it was measured, I guess that is what it is. I am able to get full aileron deflection. It seems that there are enough Classic Aero interiors out there that you could likely find an example near you to try out. If I was to presume to give advice, that is what it would be -- find an RV-7 with a full interior and try it on.

Weight

Mel, that weight seems high to me. As I recall, the shipping weight was under 30 pounds, including the boxes. I have full leather with the Aviator package but with the Sportsman seat backs. They are somewhat lighter than the Aviator backs, but you need the Van's backs with them, so it may be a wash.

I weigh 215 and my partner is 300. We are tight but don't have control problems. With a 200 lb person the loss isn't really noticeable, at least to me.

Bob Kelly

I just did W&B and figured 16 lbs. for the CAD interior, which as seats, all seat boosters, arm rests, front and rear carpet, and baggage sides. That does not include molded cockpit sides or tonau cover. I do have the Aviator seats and leather.

I was concerned with loss of width, so I just went with leather arm rests instead of the whole molded side panels.

Jim

I love the classic aero interior system..

It really finished up the plane and makes it a **** of a lot more comfortable to fly in than my previous interior. The sides fit in over the existing arm rests, so I don't believe you loose a whole lot of room. You do look room below the arm rests as it goes straight down, but that was not an issue for me.

Hugh.

I didn't measure, and I think it would depend on your build more than anything. Where your feet end up determines where your knees are, etc, etc. I have the full package (carpeted floor package, side panels, aviator seats) in my airplane (and love it!!!). If I had to do it again, I'd go for the new microfiber to save weight...it looks/feels just like leather. I'm 6'0 and weigh 240 lbs. Full aileron travel is no problem for me (left stop to right stop). I think the side panels really finish the plane well, better than anything else I've seen on the market. The installation allows for easy removal to allow inspection...I'd really suggest finding someone who has the interior installed and try it on for yourself.

Aileron travel?

My leg somewhat restricts full aileron stop to stop travel, even without side panels. The thickness of the seats (Sportsman leather) has some impact too; depending on how fore and aft they are placed. So far, I've seen one report of some aileron travel restriction, and one with none. Just wondering about others experience. 6'1" 225 lbs.

L.Adamson

I May Re-Think My Interior

I was planning on going with the Classic Aero Aviator package, however if I may loose 3-4 inches in the width of the cockpit with possibly aileron deflection, I may go with the Sportsman side panels and Aviator seats with headrests for comfort. In speaking with Classic Aero, they said I can mix and match the package to my desire. I want comfy seats for longer cross country trips, but I am already a larger guy at 6'2" and 230 lbs and belive I will need all the width I can get, especially if I have a larger passenger with me as well.

My left stick contacts my right thigh and right inside edge of the stick opening way before the aileron contacts it's stop. However, if the stick moves that far in flight, I've got other more pressing problems to deal with.

N345SF
Steve

Back