What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealant for Plexiglass rear window?

Randy

Well Known Member
As I am installing my rear window in 7A tip up, it seems that water will run down the window and possibly get under the rear skin, then drip into the back end of the baggage compartment. Any flyers out there have this problem? Any ideas on the best sealant to use between Plexi and aluminum to prevent this from happening?

Randy C.

I didn't use any sealant on any part of my tipup (except the fiberglass on the LE of the canopy) and I do not have a leakage problem. I use a Van's lite weight canopy cover when away. My plane is always hangared at home. Washing and rinse water, I may get a few drops in but no big deal. The canopy cover seems to shed water away during rain and heavy dew. I just did not want sealant all over the edges of the canopy. Seems I made the right choice for me.

Roberta

Selly's and Lexel

I used Selley's Ultra Clear. If you live in the States (I'm an Aussie) you could use LEXEL. Not available Down Under.
Pete.

Was at Home Depot tonight looking for LEXEL. Couldn't find it. Any ideas on where to get it (or a substitute)?

Thanks,
Scott

Did you find some? I found some tonight by the plexiglass. It's not kept with any of the other "caulking' products.

Mine isn't "Lexel" per se, but it is made by GE and is designed for polycarbonate and lexan sheet.

Back