What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron (flaperon) trim?

mfazio

I'm New Here
With the fuel tank inside the cabin behind the passenger position would this cause much of a weight imbalance condition? Since you don't have an aileron trim type device (since it has a flaperon) when you have full fuel and a "full" passenger (210lbs) would this cause an out of trim condition? Thinking of a long cross country flight where you would have to continue to input a correction manually might get tiresome after a while.

First, is this even an issue in real world flying to be concerned about? Is there any kind of trim device for flaperons?

Mike
-12 wannabe

With the fuel tank inside the cabin behind the passenger position would this cause much of a weight imbalance condition? Since you don't have an aileron trim type device (since it has a flaperon) when you have full fuel and a "full" passenger (210lbs) would this cause an out of trim condition? Thinking of a long cross country flight where you would have to continue to input a correction manually might get tiresome after a while.

First, is this even an issue in real world flying to be concerned about? Is there any kind of trim device for flaperons?

Mike
-12 wannabe

When I flew with Van in the POC 12, the plane was a bit out of aileron (flaperon) trim with the right wing heavy, but the controls were so light that I did not even notice. I only knew that it was out of trim because I let go of the stick to see if I was in trim for the cruise speed. It would be very easy to put in a trim system like the 7, with opposing springs.

"It would be very easy to put in a trim system like the 7, with opposing springs."

I am having trouble understanding LSA procedures.
Also, since the fuselage kit isn't finished, this might not
even be an issue. If trim is desired and not on Van's RV-12,
would one install the flaperon trim, remove it for the certification
and then reinstall it?
I hope it is that easy,
Tom

Flaperon trim

I am having trouble understanding LSA procedures.
Also, since the fuselage kit isn't finished, this might not
even be an issue. If trim is desired and not on Van's RV-12,
would one install the flaperon trim, remove it for the certification
and then reinstall it?
I hope it is that easy,
Tom

Just wait until after your inspection and then install it or build it as EAB.

Back