What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Data Logging - Anyone :)

aadamson

Well Known Member
Well, I got drafted into a fun little project. How to provide remote telemetry for a Reno race plane? In the process, I may have stumbled onto a capability that would allow first flights to be monitored from the ground. Basically a second, third or fourth set of eyes on all the engine data. And in doing so, I think I've got the major engine monitors with the exception of the Dynon supported.

I'm still putting the finishing touches on a windows program for this. Life actually started as a Linux program and will most likely continue there as well. I reused about 90% of that code and wrapped it in a GUI with some very nice commercial gauges.

Here's what it looks like so far. This data was recorded and played back thru a wireless link to capture this picture.

In real life, a little shim will go between the engine monitor computer and the connector to the EFIS, etc. The Shim will connect to a data radio and relay the engine parameters downstream to the other radio on the ground and then to the PC monitoring the data.

So far, it's proven to work very well.

We'll see if there is interest, it may be made available in a hobby type commercial offering. Let me know if you are interested.

Lynns%20telemetry.png

First Flights

Alan,

I could see this being useful to the person making their maiden flight. Having someone on the ground monitoring what was going with the engine would sure help take some of the load off of the test pilot.

Back