What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh necessities

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
I'm intersted in hearing from others who've been to Oshkosh before. What things are must haves for camping there and what things did you bring that could have been left at home. I'm shipping one large cooler of camp gear so space is at a premium.
Dayton

Camping at Oshkosh

I tent camped last year at Camp Scholler and had a great time. I was on the shuttle bus route about one-block from a shower house and about the same distance to one of the camp stores.

The camp stores are small, but were stocked with drinks, food, ice, charcoal, etc. The stores are on the shuttle bus routes so it was a routine evening stop on my way back to the campsite.

Gander Mountain also had a sporting goods sale tent filled with camping supplies.

Plan on rain and temps from 45 to 90 or so. It rained several times last year; I was on slightly higher ground than my neighbors and didn't have any issues.

Showers had plenty of hot water; bring shower shoes/sandals.

No electric hookups, so bring car chargers for cell phones, etc.

Bring a chair (even a backpacking/stadium seat style if you can fit it in); lots of socializing in the evening and it will make the airshows much more comfortable.

Hope this helps-feel free to ask more questions,
Mike

Dayton, my son and I are camping this year at Scholler. You said you were shipping things ahead of time. Who are you shipping them to at the show? We talked about doing this also with our tent and other large items.

Thanks,

I've packed some small binoculars many times and rarely used them.

My normal walking gear is the fairly common wide brimmed hat, light colored shirt, shorts with too many pockets, and a fanny pack for drinks, purchases and the camera. (bring cash for the hardware vendor tents).

If you are minimalist camping, the luxury addition two small folding chairs (the type shown is the smallest packing one I have found) would be great for breakfast with the cooler "table".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000HN6T14/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods

Camping

When we fly in we always pick the west side of the North Forty off of runway 9 so that we can hop the fence and visit the food stores, restaurants etc. That way we can pitch a tent by the plane and all we really need to bring is a cooler. Everyone even brings their groceries back in grocery carts...they are all stacked up by the fence. Showers are within walking distance. So is the bus stop to take you to the show grounds.

A vest-of-many-pockets is handy. Don't forget the sunscreen and wide brimmed hat. And Mike is right about there not being electric outlets at the campsites, but you can use them at the showers. I charge my cellphone there and every morning make a pot of coffee. Works for me!

Bob Kelly

Dayton

Are you going?....Cool so am I

At least that is the plan....Do you want to meet up somewhere, say in Wyoming or something and we could fly in trail...Assuming you can keep up of course...:)

How is your beautiful Daughter..has she chosen a school yet?

Frank

OSH notes

Notes after 5 years of tent camping at OSH:
1. Two pairs of COMFORTABLE shoes.
2. A small cooler with the beverage of your choice for use during camp setup. It's 9 o'clock somewhere.
3. Old drawers. Wear and toss. Number of drawers should equal number of days away from home.
4. If possible, don't let anything touch the inside walls of your tent during the inevitable rainstorms. Super Target appreciates your business.
5. There are stores and restaurants everywhere. Even if you show up with just a tarp, blanket and clothes, you can still live like a king, well, maybe a prince.
6. Bring airplane tie-downs, else the EAA will rent a set to you for about $10.
7. If you camp in the North 40, don't forget to put some change in the coin box next to the school bus driver everytime you board the bus. Which may be 2-3 times a day.
8. Airplane canopy cover. Install every morning. Before the rainstorm.

See you there,
N345SF
Steve

I'm ceratain that you will be in homebuilt camping, which is sorta like extended RV parking, as it shares the same field. It is adjacent to North 40, and does have its own showers.

It can be some distance to the camp store for necessities like a 6 pack, and I usually carry a soft cooler just for drinks. I generlly eat wherever.

Chairs with a back are an unbelievable luxury after walking all day. I found some locally for 5 bucks that were pretty small. You can always sell em to somebody when you leave if you buy too much stuff to haul home.

You will be so busy meeting and talking to folks that you won't miss things you forgot, but I have never been there that it didn't rain once, and sometimes it gets to 100 or better, but I have seen 38 in the morning. Check the forecast for temps before you leave--anything is possible.

Not sure if I'm going this year, but hope to.

The busses come by on a regular schedule. That said, you can buy
mosting everything you need at Target, a very short walk from the
north side of the North 40. Buy a cooler with wheels, ice, drinks, food
and whatever else you need. Target sells chairs for cheap ($5 - $10).
When you leave you can leave them with you name on them and pick
them up the next year, a service that is very nice.

It will rain. I guarantee it :)

One trick we've done each year was to take a large screen tent, the one
with no floor and a nylon top. Get one big enough to put two sleeping
tents inside of it. Your tent will stay nice and dry and it will provide a
nice shelter away from the bugs.

See you there.

Back