What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Timing is everything!

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Today Sher and I went to a lunch fly inn at the old Castle Air Force Base in Merced, CA. There is an aviation museum there so I brought the camera along to take some pictures. When I saw the nose art on this particular plane the wait was on for just the right visitor to walk by. It didn't take long to get just the right shot. :D
dscn30091xm2.jpg

Also at the museum is the SR-71 that Brian Schul flew over Libya and drew surface to air missiles. The story he penned about this mission is a great read. It's kind of sad to see this bird sitting here rotting in the sun.
dscn30211qw4.jpg

There is also a B-36 at Castle. We were told that it is only one of 4 left in the world. What a big airplane! It is parked near a B-52 and it makes the B-52 look small.
dscn30151yq9.jpg

Lastly, I had the opportunity to take this baby for a spin. What kind of RV'er could pass this up?
dscn30121su8.jpg

Last edited:
Also at the museum is the SR-71 that Brian Schul flew over Libya and drew surface to air missiles. The story he penned about this mission is a great read. It's kind of sad to see this bird sitting here rotting in the sun.
dscn30211qw4.jpg
Wow, thanks for a great read!

LA to DC in 64 minutes!
Engines gulping 100,000 cubic feet of air per SECOND!

It's no RV, but I wouldn't mind a few hours at Mach 3.X at 85,000 feet.

If you ever get a chance to poke your head into a BUFF(B-52).... IT IS SMALL!
How they cram everyone in there, craziness

If you ever get a chance to poke your head into a BUFF(B-52).... IT IS SMALL! How they cram everyone in there, craziness.

No joke, I've been in a couple of B-52s at museums and airshows... it's cramped!

And speaking of the Castle museum, photos and poking around the cockpit of a BUFF, check the museum calendar for May 25, just 10 days away;
"Open Cockpit Day"! Wahhh, I wanna go! Too bad it's so far away and I gotta be at work. It'd be a hoot to take a peek inside these old beasts, especially the B-36 or the Vulcan.

http://www.castleairmuseum.org/

Back