What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ky97a (pm501) Sidetone

henriquerv9

Hi All,

Does Anyone Know What Is The Side Tone On The Ky97?
When I Push The Ptt In Pilot The Copilot Cannot Hear The Transmission Over The Radio And Vice-versa.

Regards

Henrique Castro

Make sure that you have the PM501 switch in the "ALL" position. This would be normal in the "isolate" position.
Mel...DAR

On the KY97A, there is Sidetine pot located on the top of the case which you can access through a small hole. It should be clearly labeled "Sidetone".
You can adjust sidetone by turning either clockwise for more or CCW for less. (I think that is correct but trial and error will test that.) A little goes a long way on this adjustment. (Make note of where it is when you start adjusting so you can get it back where it was initially, if you need to. I don't believe that the pot will allow you more than one 360 degree turn end to end, though.)
Also, some intercoms automatically isolate the copilot when they are switched off, so you might check on that. It could also depend on how you have the jacks wired to the radio and the intercom.
I had the same concern on mine, but learned that my intercom isolated the copilot when it wasn't turned on.

Check the wiring harness. I had the same problem with my KY97A when I installed it the first time. Turned out the professionally built wiring harness was mis-wired. Even better, the folks at Chief Avionics, particularly the owner were complete jerks when I asked them to correct the problem with the harness they built and sold me.

Fortunately, 6 years has passed and I'm not bitter anymore...

Back