What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Drop Cord Light Bulbs

tinman

Well Known Member
If you are like me, your drop cord light bulb will break with minimal provocation. After replacing two bulbs in a week due to broken filaments, I decided to try a screw-in flourescent bulb. I am pleased to report that the bulb works great! An additional benefit is that it doesn't get hot enough to burn your skin if you brush against it. They cost around $5 each. Mine just survived a fall from the work bench with no damage.

good info

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about the same thing today and was wondering how strong the bulb would be. You sufficiently answer the question for me. I was planning on replacing the incandescent bulb due to heat.

CAUTION: If you go to flourescent droplight bulb make sure that you have a sufficient shield around the bulb. Although they are resistant to breaking, when they DO break, they shatter rather violently. I changed over several years ago. They are much cooler and use less electricity.
Mel...DAR

Special Bulbs

They make a special high impact bulb for those lights. They take quite a pounding before breaking. I have had one in my light for several years now with kicks and drops and it still works like a champ. You can get them at any Lowes or Home Depot type store.

Drop Cord Light Bulbs

While we are on the subject, here's something to think about. This happened locally a few months ago:

A guy was working on the fuel system of his truck, lying under it with an incandescent drop light. Fuel spilled on the ground and on him, splashed on the bulb, broke the bulb, instant fire--with him under the truck.

He got out of the hospital about 3 months later. They rebuilt his garage faster than he recovered.

I replaced my drop lights with flourescents.

Richard Scott
RV-9A

Back