What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TSO'd 2.25" Altimeter?

Jim P

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a 2.25" TSOd altimeter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I thought the glider guys may use one but didn't have any info on that.

Jim

Arm and Leg required

I researched 2.25" altimeters a while back. The only one I was able to find priced less than $1000 was the Winter 4FGH40, but it does not appear to be TSO'd. (It is, however, a very good quality gauge. Winter is a legendary name in the soaring community. Personally, I'd have no qualms using one as a backup to my EFIS).

I found two places that sell it. The price for this instrument appears to be going up about $50 per month, mostly due to the weak dollar against the Euro. Here are the links:

1. Williams Soaring

2. Wings and Wheels store

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, the Winter unit appears to be one of the only 2.25" units available and still have some body parts left over from the purchase!

In working with a local avionics shop, all visible altimeters need to be certified for IFR use, or at least pass the testing. I have a 2.25" UMA which won't pass, thus, I have two options. Go with something that will pass, or (2), remove the UMA and cap the lines. I'm leaning towards removing the unit for now and then put something else in later.

If it's not one thing, it's another!:mad:

In working with a local avionics shop, all visible altimeters need to be certified for IFR use, or at least pass the testing. I have a 2.25" UMA which won't pass, thus, I have two options.

Why won't the UMA pass? Is it a bad unit, or they just don't like non-TSO instruments?

Based on prior experience, the single pointer UMA would be off too far to certify as passing.

2.25 Precision Alt

I talked to UMA at Sun & Fun, they thought they would have one by Oshkosh for around $600. I don't know any more then what she said. You may contact them directly. Cheers CJ

I've been as well trying to find 2.25" altimeter with two pointers. If I recall it was also required for some reasons (IFR backup or propably even night-VFR backup, can't recall now) in here and single pointer altimeters were not allowed.

Result: so far this Winter is the only one I've been able to find. I've feeling that those were TSO'ed (verify from them) so that explains the high price at some degree. I'd happy to get non-TSO'ed for less...

Back