What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Antenna in RV-6

Bobc

I'm New Here
I have installed a Vans wingtip antenna and get zero performance from it.

I am sure its not installed correctly as I recall not getting any installation information and calling Vans support made it appear easy to do.

I have looked through the user posts on wingtip antenna it does appear they do perform reasonably well with the Bob Archer type probably the most effective and I have picked out info on this antenna.

I want to go on with a wingtip antenna but before I condem the Vans item and go for something else can anyone provide me with installation help on the Vans antenna, any documentation on the installation or even some photograhic idea

Bob Carswell
RV6 G-GRVE
[email protected]

Did you see this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=25767&highlight=wingtip+antenna

I have Van's wingtip VOR antenna and it works very well. Are you using it for VOR or COM. VOR signal is horizontally polarized and COM is vertically polarized. To get the best result, COM antennas should be vertically mounted. I have my Van's COM antenna glued to the center of my windshield (vertically) and it works well too. Archer COM antenna in the wingtip works well.

Following is the Van's Wingtip Antenna Installation Instruction:

http://3limafoxtrot.com/image/vans antenna installation.JPG

I bought 2 of the Van's wingtip antennas and found that 3 of the precrimped BNC connectors were faulty. I used the 4th that seemed ok and after 30 hours or so, it failed too. I would replace your BNC connectors. RadioShack has some that slide on and secure with a set screw that have worked fin for me.

Could you specify which antenna you are having problems with? NAV or COMM?

If it is the NAV antenna, here's a little hint: it is absolutely critical that you run the wires the way it says to in the manual. Any other way will seriously degrade the performance.

Here's a write up and pic courtesy of Sam:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/sportcraft.htm

I believe we are talking about two different antennae. The Archer antenna installation is described in my article referenced above. However, I think the original poster was referring to the "foil tape" antenna sold by Vans. These are two different designs and require appropriate installations.

Wingtip NAV antenna in RV-6

Thanks guys for replies so far

I should have stated the wingtip antenna from Vans is for the VOR.

I appreciate the wingtip antenna installation diagram from TC which I did not receive from Vans when I ordered the antenna. I failed to do enough research before going ahead and installing the antenna.

I can see straight away my installation needs to be done again, however without seeming to be a little dense I would like just a little more clarification, are we talking here about placing the foil strip at the very front of the wingtip where it meets with the wingtip rib and wing skin and then for the VOR antenna placing it as near horizontal as possible and running it back along the inside towards the rear of the wingtip.

I apologise if I dont seem to be getting it straight off, I'm just looking to make sure I've got it correct this time round.

Back