What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tron Guru needed

asav8tor

Well Known Member
Non RV installation.

Headset without in-line volume control. Problem: Audio panel will adjust all volumes except alerts. Alerts are way too loud (hearing damage too loud). If the headset had an in-line volume control the solution would be to turn down the in-line volume and turn up the radios, intercom, etc. This reduces the alert sounds.

Is an in-line volume simply a series wired potentiometer? If I just wanted to cut the volume a fixed amount could I simply insert a resistor in series or parallel? What watt 1/4 ? How many ohms?

Thanks,

Just a shot in the dark here...

Why do I get the feeling that your running an AOA indicator and that it's in fact the alert that is screaming to loudly?

If that is correct, you really are not addressing the issue by adding resistors. :D

The AOA indicators I've worked with actually have control pots inside the brain unit if you open them up....like the ones AFS work with.

Hope this helps!

Matt

No not an AOA. Altitude chimes, 500 feet, DH, EGPWS etc. Basically I'm asking if anyone knows how an in-line volume control is wired. Series pot?

Ok, that makes sense too.

Who is the manufacturer of the control unit? I would be inclined to think that they would make some sort of provision for volume control, wouldn't they?

Back