What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How the VAF may have saved my butt!

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
The recent discussions on tip-up canopies opening in flight reminded me of my experience. Not long after transitioning from Skyhawks and a Cherokee 180 into Mikey (my RV-6), I took off and soon realized the tip-up canopy was opening. I immediately remembered discussions on the VAF about how an open canopy isn't a big deal as long as you continue to aviate first. Like Doug's description of his incident (and maybe it was his posting that I remembered), I just continued to climb out. At about 1000' I stabilized my flight and then reached up with my right hand to latch the canopy down. Thanks to what I had learned about the RV's handling characteristics from these forums, I felt no fear (albeit, perhaps a little surprise) and didn't skip a beat on climb out. I'm sure I would have been terrified otherwise, with uncertain consequences. I bet lots of you folks out there can related stories of how the VAF might have saved your butt. How about it?

I don't know if it's saved it yet , but it's sure made it numb a few times from sitting here reading the posts :D

I don't know if it's saved it yet , but it's sure made it numb a few times from sitting here reading the posts :D

Now that is funny right there!

Yes, I get a lot of great info here, mostly about maintenance, repair, ect. I can safely say there have been things I've caught and repaired that if I hadn't have looked could have developed into a forced landing.

I took off and did not have a -6A canopy locked. There was no way I could have closed it in flight. It was the longest return trip to the airport ever. I can still remember the terror I felt for being so careless. I slowed way down, and just hopped it would not came off. Little did I know it was not a huge deal.

Good save flying Louise. Keeping your calm under pressure is not easy, but it will save your life flying. Fly the airplane 1st, is the best rule in aviation (after you leave the ground ;) )

Last edited:
-10 doors

After reading the threads about 10s loosing doors, I re-visited the setup in my plane----------luckily.

My doors are now latching correctly. And, I am pondering a secondary latch.

Web Tools

Probably one of the greatest contributions that VAF has made to my flying safety is to expose me to some excellent flight planning and in-flight weather tools such as Weathermeister and the phenomenally important XM weather. Sure, neither of them is unique to VAF - but the cross-country capability of the RV line of aircraft attracts people who have discovered, built, and used these tools. I cannot imagine flying a long cross-country in a fast airplane such as the RV without this kind of information anymore. Not only do they make trips possible, they also (more importantly) give you a good idea when to call it quits.

I am safer because I make better decisions when i have the most up-to-date flight information, and I got those tools through their exposure on VAF!

Paul

Invaluable info here on VAF regarding things to look out for that we might not consider until something bad happens. I've learned many useful things here. Certainly my -10 door latches will not be stock.

In-flight fire...

......is one of my major concerns and what to do about it if the worst ever happens. The guy who jumped out of his on-fire -8 to his death woke me up!

Brian (RV-4 buddy) and I have rehashed this scenario more than once. If you have an engine fire in flight, the first thing to do is shut off the fuel supply and turn off the mags, then pull up steeply to stop the prop. The obvious reason for this is to stop the oil pump from pumping oil if it happens to be an oil-fed fire. This has to be almost second nature and done very quickly.

Now we prepare for an emergency landing, hopefully not on fire anymore and make the best of a bad situation.

Regards,

In Flight Fire

...... If you have an engine fire in flight, the first thing to do is shut off the fuel supply and turn off the mags, then pull up steeply to stop the prop. The obvious reason for this is to stop the oil pump from pumping oil if it happens to be an oil-fed fire.

Thanks Pierre for the advise. Stopping the prop because of a possible oil pump fueld fire is the first time I have heard this. VAF postings are some of the best reading available anywhere.

I've always been told to dive to pick up speed in case of an engine fire. The theory is to get down quickly and the extra wind will blow the fire out. I suppose you could do both procedures. I just hope I never have to find out!

If you are going to use your lapbelt as a gust lock while on the ground, put it around the pilot's stick not the passenger's. I believe I read that on VAF in the aftermath of the crash at Arlington.

Of course, checking control stick movement and freedom are part of your checklist anyway, right?

I've always been told to dive to pick up speed in case of an engine fire. The theory is to get down quickly and the extra wind will blow the fire out. I suppose you could do both procedures. I just hope I never have to find out!

Larry, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it requires about 400mph airspeed to extinguish an in-flight fire. I wouldn't want to try that in a RV. I'm with Pierre on this topic. Let's be safe and fly many enjoyable and rewarding flights. :)

Joel

Larry, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it requires about 400mph airspeed to extinguish an in-flight fire. I wouldn't want to try that in a RV. I'm with Pierre on this topic. Let's be safe and fly many enjoyable and rewarding flights. :)

Joel

From my student pilot days, I recall my instructor telling me to dive in a slip to during an in flight fire emergency. The slip should be done in a way to keep any flames from the pilot's side. I guess the logic is that you flame out the fire and get on the ground faster without overspeeding the airframe.

I'd have to look at what the Cessna (that's what I got my PPL on) POH in flight fire check list says about that to corroborate my instructors directions.

Now for my more serious response, and to try and get Louise's thread back on track. I check in on the VAF almost daily and it's a poor day when I don't learn something. I've had a lot of technical questions answered, it's provided a source of inspiration, and there are a lot of decent people who participate that I would never have heard of it it wasn't for this site.

Thanks to Doug for all his hard work.

Back